To Sauce or not to sauce? That is the question.

B

backporchbbq

Ok boy and girls here is my hang up. Do you all sauce you pork and/or brisket for competitions? I know at home it is different and what you do is either what you like or you family likes. Do you think the judges prefer sauced pork and brisket? In Berks our pork was the best pork we have ever done, but we did not score as well as I thought.

So enough rambeling, do you boys and girls sauce your brisket and pork or not? If so why? If not why?

Pork - no sauce but I've had only one top twenty this year in pork...ouch!

Brisket - no sauce, I've finished 15th, 8th, 1st, 8th, and 10th this year.

We sauce the pork. Brisket gets dredged in some au jus with just a touch of sauce before it goes in the box. If burnt ends go in the brisket box they have a thicker sauce on them.

I think you could get by with unsauced brisket, but I think pork is just to blah without some sauce (or maybe that is just my pork!!!).

People are judging sauce these days which is what I have expierenced at the last two comps I have done especialy with brisket. I think they need to go back to the basics of meat judging.

Pork - I always season lightly with the same rub I used before the cook, and I always sauce. I use a thin coat of sauce thinned with a little of the resting foil juice.

Brisket - I usually sauce the backsides of the slices. The idea is that the appearance scores (from finicky judges) don't suffer, but the flavor is there for the taste judging. I use a half-and-half mixture of the resting foil juice and sauce.

I hope this helps,
John

I think that is hurt me at Kettering.....I did not sauce my chicken and ribs and was told that is why I probually scored low on the two....because they were done just right and were good but no sauce................

Didn't start to sauce pork until this year. Only tried it twice so far, but I think it is helping. Still trying to figure out how (technique - just backside or obvious saucing on the front) and how much.

Usually paint the backside of the brisket with some au jus or beef broth to help keep it moist and give it a little flavor. I have to agree that it seems to be more a sauce competition than meat sometimes.

If you sauce before the meat goes in the box, keep it thin - think wash more than sauce. My $.02

-Gowan

Pork - I always season lightly with the same rub I used before the cook, and I always sauce. I use a thin coat of sauce thinned with a little of the resting foil juice.

Brisket - I usually sauce the backsides of the slices. The idea is that the appearance scores (from finicky judges) don't suffer, but the flavor is there for the taste judging. I use a half-and-half mixture of the resting foil juice and sauce.

I hope this helps,
John
I do the same for pork, never thought about doing the back of the brisket slices... As for the burnt ends... Yes, yes, and yes...

I think that is hurt me at Kettering.....I did not sauce my chicken and ribs and was told that is why I probually scored low on the two....because they were done just right and were good but no sauce................
I do a thinned out version of my sauce on my chicken... Got second at Lone Wolf for it and was told if I had remembered (ok, listened) and put a last layer just prior to boxing I may have taken first... Lesson learned...

Back