• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Maiden Voyage on the UDS

71-South

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Hey All,

Well, I did a fatty last weekend as I seasoned my new Fugly Drum Smoker, but today was the real first smoke. I did two racks of (St. Louis) spares, a big fatty, and some pig shots.

I was a little nervous that it might take off on me from reading other UDS threads, but I was careful and caught it on the way up. I filled the charcoal basket about half way and dropped 10 briquettes (Kingsford Comp) on top. It took about 30 min. to get to 200. At that point, I shut the top vents down to about 1/4 open, closed two of the bottom (3/4") intakes, closed the third one to about 1/2 open. It took another 30 min. to settle in around 270, and I threw on the spares.

The temp jumped back and forth between 220 and 285 for the next hour, then it settled in at 248 and stayed that way, plus or minus 2 degrees for the rest of the cook Wow! I think I'm going to like this thing. I could have cooked 3 times as much meat on it had I loaded it up.

Spares turned out very good. Not awesome as I was paying more attention to the smoker than the meat today, but good enough that the family oohed and ahhhhed a lot. I'll take that. :grin:

The pig shots, as usual, were farking fantastic. Did them with Velveta for a change instead of cream cheese (what i had in the fridge mod.)

Have a great night all!

-Bret

420Ribs1.gif

Food looks great:clap: FYI leave the top vent all the way open and adjust as you did with the bottom vents only, better air flow and you don't run the risk of getting nasty tasting food (creosote flavoring:tsk:)

BTW every drum has a sweet spot where it likes to run, each one is different, enjoy!

Food looks fantastic.
I agree with Ron. I always leave my top (exhaust) vent open 100% during the cook and only adjust the intakes. That helps from choking the fire out and getting yuk smoke.

Looks like you're gonna be in for a great ride with your new toy! :thumb:

Back