Beef Ribs ?

LADawg

Found some matches.
Reaction score
I come asking for HELP……. I have never cooked and Beef Ribs. I'm not talking about Beef Short Ribs, rather Beef Back Ribs. This week Publix had them on sale and for the price I thought I would give a try at cooking some of 'em. The package I bought are trimmed up nice, but do have some fat so I know that I need to keep this for flavor.
I think I will make a rub using about 2 Teaspoons Paprika, 1/2 Teaspoon each Onion Powder, Garlic Powder, Black Pepper, and Salt. Rub them down good with this and put them on my WSM at about 250° for 5 to 6 hours. I will use a rib rack when cooking them.
My question is what changes should I make to the rub, and is this about the correct cooking temperature and time??????

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evEn2ryBqDA&list=UUk3LOyIOWUwD6hYtSzBoh7w&index=1&feature=plcp"]I GOT SCREWED by WALMART Beef Ribs - Pitmaster T's Half Assed BBQ Series - YouTube[/ame]

If you are lucky, you might get enough for one person out of them. If you cook them right, they are tasty just not much there but bones. Your dog will love you.

picture.php

Reading your original post, 5-6 hours is gonna be way too long. They cook faster than pork. I always have good intentions making beef ribs but I usually regret the end product.

I have tried beef plate (short) ribs before and was not happy with how they came out. I bought a package of beef back ribs today, which I'm going to make tomorrow or Thursday.

I hope I do better with these.

Bob

Here is how I cook beef ribs and they always turn out delicious. Two hours at about 290* then wrap for another two hours at 290*. I don't use anything in the foil when I wrap other than the ribs. Check tenderness, and remove from cooker when perfectly tender. Four and a half hours maximum time at 290*.

I tried those Walmart beef ribs - once.

Last week, I decided to try beef ribs again and got these from Restaurant Depot:

2013-01-06_19-38-51_433.jpg

2013-01-06_19-41-59_313.jpg

Maybe a little too meaty. I smoked them for 6 hours @ ~250*. The were good. Steak on a stick. Texture was closer to steak than fall apart beef ribs. Luckily I got another package of them in the fridge to keep practicing on.

I have had ok luck with beef ribs from wally world, but just NOT enough meat on them.

Maybe a little too meaty. I smoked them for 6 hours @ ~250*. The were good. Steak on a stick. Texture was closer to steak than fall apart beef ribs. Luckily I got another package of them in the fridge to keep practicing on.[/QUOTE]

I love the plate / short ribs from RD. I think you'll like them better cooked a little hotter. (275-300). The fat renders a little better. Biggest mistake I made when first doing these was under cooking them. They should probe VERY tender when done.

I don't care for the back ribs not enough meat but the short ribs are another story
i do the 3-2-1 one them at 250 and they turn out amazing
steake on a stick for sure

I love the plate / short ribs from RD. I think you'll like them better cooked a little hotter. (275-300). The fat renders a little better. Biggest mistake I made when first doing these was under cooking them. They should probe VERY tender when done.

Yeah i agree. I was shooting for 275* to 300*, but it was in the 20* outside and just wasn't working. They did probe fairly easy, but some of the meat on top is pretty lean.

Beef ribs are one of the few meats that I haver never attempted to cook, for some reason. I've looked at the back ribs, but they seem like you're paying for a bunch of bones instead of meat. Those short ribs look good, I'm gonna be on the lookout for some, now.

I grew up eating beef ribs that others cooked and just always thought beef ribs were all tough. Then I started making my own with advice of the brethren and they are amazing.

Sent from my Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I have tried beel back ribs twice -- bought them from RD just no meat on them so even 2 hrs was too much...but I guess if you are getting $18 a pound for prime rib, which they do around me...you are going to trim those bones close/

Have given up on those and go with short ribs

Back