A money question

I went from

el cheap-o brinkman offset -> weber kettles -> WSM's -> big green egg -> kamado joe

Only ones I've kept are the kettles and kamado joe. I'm thinking of adding a well built offset to the collection, of course well in the future. As well as build a in ground santa maria grill that can dub as a fire pit for entertaining.

One can never have too many toys. :crazy:

Wife dont complain much anymore. She eats well.

Here it is, dirty, mid cook, and showing off the part I forgot to paint.
kurgMnzl.jpg

Looks like you got a little anal leakage there..... :oops:

This is mostly a UDS question, but other smokers absolutely apply. How many of you built/bought your smoker for a good price, and slowly added add ons to it, to realize down the road you have spent a lot more money on this than you ever expected?

Example, my UDS cost me about 80 bucks to build. Then i needed a bigger basket, then i needed different venting system, then i needed another venting system, then i needed a table on it, then i needed a weber lid, then i wanted to paint it, etc.

All of this has happened over about 2 months. I jsut kept saying, oh its only gonna be 15 bucks to add the table, oh im good found a weber lid on CL for cheap, and this and that. Then i added it up (something i shouldnt have done, and suggest you dont do) and realized im up to like 200 bucks. Where did this money even come from!!!!

Is this a common occurrence for you guys also?

look at it this way:

you couldn't walk in any store with $200 and come out with a smoker like the UDS!!! i've been slacking on finishing mine and recently i've gotten back on it. i dont have much free time but i'll eventually get it done :biggrin1:

here a $20 there a $20 every where a $20 $20. Old McDonald Built a smoker..... But now the pigs and cows are making sizzling sounds!!!:grin::biggrin1:

my wife claims I coo--coo-...and I had to agree...I only have 16 cooker / grills / smokers and no one should be deprived and have less than 20.....
you wouldn't own a truck without 35's on it would you?

Yep,

Started with a free drum that didn't have a lid, then I bought a drum, made a flat top uds with one shelf and fridge magnets for vents, then my son wanted one so we burned out the barrel, then we found a weber on cl, but it was too nice, so we bought another weber on cl, then I put one ball valve and 2 capped pipe nipples, then I decided I wanted 3 ball valves.

So my one uds from a free drum that was going to cost me only $50 turned into 2 uds and 3 weber kettles, with probably a total of $300-$400.

Buy I don't feel bad.

I have a buddy that wanted to build an offset smoker. Told his wife he was going to spend $700. $7,000 later and still adding to it he has a very nice BBQ trailer.

Last edited:
Sigh, its a ugly downward spiral here..

Started with a:
WSM, then a Stumps stretch, then a PR60 pig cooker, then a bubba keg, then a trailer for these new competition things we are doing, that led to thousands more, then on to a toy hauler, sigh, now add backwoods, hasnt stopped yet, i keep thinking i have everything i need and i keep finding more i need....

Great food, fun on the weekends with great new friends, and time with my family, I am one lucky sob...

I have one understanding wife...:mrgreen:

I have to agree. First the WSM--Guru--Weber Grill--Backwoods Gater--(Scared to see what's next!). My wife does feed my addiction though. Anytime she sees a smoker or grill for sale she ask if I need it!

my wife claims I coo--coo-...and I had to agree...I only have 16 cooker / grills / smokers and no one should be deprived and have less than 20.....
you wouldn't own a truck without 35's on it would you?

Keep it up. As long as you have 16, then my 10 seem very "reasonable".

"You don't win friends with salad!" - Homer Simpson

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

you are half way there? heading over to sears, they have closeouts on charcoal 22.5 dia for 29.00...I checked on line and they are offering web sales also..I seen this posted here!!!!!

Wish i would have seen that before i bought a 22 inch from CL for 25 bucks lol.

Back