The Weber Smokey Mountain Appreciation Thread

A chimney takes 20-30 minutes to get the coals hot. With a tourch, I can get the coals ready to go in about 3 minutes! :thumb:

Sure, it's fast, but I was wondering if there was some other benefit. My problem with the torch is that I'm bad about catching wood that I bury in the briqs on fire. Lately, for long smokes, I bury about 3 wood chunks in the briqs around the perimeter of the ring, and put three others around the perimeter on top...just barely touching the lit briqs that I pour in a middle depression. It works pretty good and I don't add any wood.

The torch is kind of fun though, isn't it? :-D

Sure, it's fast, but I was wondering if there was some other benefit. My problem with the torch is that I'm bad about catching wood that I bury in the briqs on fire. Lately, for long smokes, I bury about 3 wood chunks in the briqs around the perimeter of the ring, and put three others around the perimeter on top...just barely touching the lit briqs that I pour in a middle depression. It works pretty good and I don't add any wood.

The torch is kind of fun though, isn't it? :-D

It is fun but you don't bury wood chunks in the briqs when using one. First, you fill your ring with unlit coals, then light a few on top with the torch. Next, you put your wood chunks on top or the lit coals and assemble the WSM. As far as I know, this is the latest Minion method.

So does Jim Minion have any reason for lighting the briqs with a torch, other than being a little quicker?

It just SEEMS like I wouldn't get quite enough smoke unless I added a couple more chunks of wood a few hours later into the cook....BUT...I don't like the (initial) smoke I get when I add wood in the middle of a cook. :confused:

Dave, my advise is to not bury the wood. Try my way once. Great BBQ awaits...

5625610274_191ee488ce_b.jpg

5625014633_4287285e5e_b.jpg

5625025359_62a946de95_b.jpg

Where do most of you purchase your WSM units from? I can't say I've ever seen them at places like Lowes etc. I'm definitely in the market for one.

Ace Hardware and such in the north....nowhere in the south :crazy: Thank God for the internet, I guess. :-D

Michael, thanks for the suggestions, and I'll try about anything. Are you saying you wouldn't add anymore wood than the three pieces on top for a long low-n-slow cook? That's how I did it on my UDS, but since there was significantly less air to the coals, the wood lasted a lot longer than it does on my wsm...and the wsm water pan "washes" the smoke, too. Just wonderin'... Thanks for the thread. :-D

Michael, thanks for the suggestions, and I'll try about anything. Are you saying you wouldn't add anymore wood than the three pieces on top for a long low-n-slow cook? That's how I did it on my UDS, but since there was significantly less air to the coals, the wood lasted a lot longer than it does on my wsm...and the wsm water pan "washes" the smoke, too. Just wonderin'... Thanks for the thread. :-D

Dave, 3 or 4 chunks that size is all you need, trust me.

If you go to sears.com, you will see the 22.5" listed for $315 and the 18.5" for $265. Take them into Lowes or Home Depot to get them to price match them. You'll probably have to order them or you can get a pretty good price on Amazon as well, although the prices have gone up $30-55 each though in the past week it appears.

If you go to sears.com, you will see the 22.5" listed for $315 and the 18.5" for $265. Take them into Lowes or Home Depot to get them to price match them. You'll probably have to order them or you can get a pretty good price on Amazon as well, although the prices have gone up $30-55 each though in the past week it appears.

Thanks for that, forgop! :-D

Just got a new toy myself a couple of weeks ago,a shiny new 22.5 WSM :whoo:. I had a Chargriller smok'n pro for about 3yrs. but got tired of all the mussing I had to do for long cooks not to mention the fuel. I've only been able to use it once but I'm convinced it was worth selling my CG for,hands down. I intentend to break it in a little more during Easter...here bunny,bunny,bunny ...muwahaahaahaa ...:twisted:

100_1888a.jpg

100_1896aa.jpg

Wow! Great results! :becky: You are going to love your new pit, bro. :thumb:

Back