Pyrex Baking Dish Explosion with pic's

lol I tried to warm up a ceramic casserole bowl on gas stove once and it exploded too

I had a hot pyrex from some food that recently came off the smoker. The wife is a clean freak and grabbed it to clean it and by the time I turned around, too late, she dumped it in dish water ,120 degree water, and we had glass and water everywhere. Very unpleasant. Even cut her hand good when it went off.

Needless to say, I don't use glass unless we are making a casserole that I know will sit with food in it long enough to be cooled enough for cleaning.

We found glass up to 2 weeks later. I feel for you and hope other take notice to this post for safety, if not for the cook, for your kids and dogs after the fact.

Thanks for the post. Never had this happen to me and now I'll know to be careful. Thanks again and I"m glad no one got hurt.

Tough break no pun intended. Just a couple days ago I was melting some bakers chocolate in the microwave. I thought I had it set on low but it must have been on high. It got real hot and smoked up the whole house, anyway I wanted to cool it down and very very carefully I put just a couple drops of warm water on it and pow. The dish did not bust but the chocolate exploded and covered me and the area around the sink.
Dave

Oh snap! I have a Pyrex baking dish too! Now I'm scared to put it in the oven now!

Wow they should be pulled off the market if they are not safe,sounds like it happens all the time.I am glad everyone is ok

I had a pyrex baking dish explode in my hand about 12 years ago.
Except for me the dish was cold, empty and clean. I grabbed it to take it down out of the cupboard, the lid rocked ever so slightly, then BAM!.
Shards everywhere and a nice 1.25" gash up the side of my ring finger.
Had a fun night in the ER that night.
Is still use pyrex though.

Don't know if you guys get Mermaid brand bakeware in the US but I bet you'll have an equivalent if not.

It's hard anodized ally and it is awesome stuff, safe on the hob and up to very high temps in the oven. Also is fine with steel utensils, doesn't scratch and it's almost as non-stick as teflon.

I've got some Mermaid baking pans and I like them, plus they don't ever blow up :biggrin:

Probably not the same pyrex used for graduated cylinders and beakers. A lot of these can be avoided, but the freak accidents of them blowing up in the oven while baking is the part that should be examined.

Just sending this one back up. I feel that this is something to be aware of. In my case I'm sure pouring liquid in a hot glass dish was the issue with it breaking. Thanks for all the comments in the thread and for sharing your experiences. Vince

I hate when that happens! Has happened to me before too. I wasn't adding liquid to mine, but had set it down unsuspectingly in a shallow puddle of cool water. BOOM! Farking scary as chit!

well i am now going to take my old glass Pyrex pie pan out of my uds and swap it for steel !! Thats crazy that it exploded

Thanks for the story, great to help all with safety.

Thanks for sharing your "fail". Even if you were possibly not to blame!! I would have...well probably peed myself..ha ha! And will now definitely add extra caution after reading BBQBull's link from Consumer Affairs. Wow.

well i am now going to take my old glass Pyrex pie pan out of my uds and swap it for steel !! Thats crazy that it exploded

I would hate to see that mess or even inside the oven for that matter.

Thanks for sharing your "fail". Even if you were possibly not to blame!! I would have...well probably peed myself..ha ha! And will now definitely add extra caution after reading BBQBull's link from Consumer Affairs. Wow.

LOL at the FAIL!

Vince,

Was this real Pyrex, or the chit labelled Pyrex at Walmart?

Glad everyone was okay!

Good question Bill. It did have the Pyrex name on the dish when I started just like another that I still have. I do not know how old it is and one of the two was bought in the last couple of years.

I have my pyrex at 450*F a lot and have never had one break apart from extreme heat. I did have one explode on time because I sat it on the counter top after Ipulled out of the oven. I sat it in a small amount of water that was on the counter top. Always make sure the counter is dry.

I heard Pyrex was sold to a Chinese company. I don't know how true this is, and I don't remember exactly how long ago, maybe a couple of years or so. Any new Pyrex products are made in China and different materials and processes are used. They are known to explode very easily. I have 3 Pyrex baking pans that are at least 20 years old. The old ones made in the USA are good to go. I only use them for baking at lower temps (350 F or lower). I would never consider roasting in a glass baking dish. Get yourself a nice SS roasting pan. Glad to hear no one was injured!

Back