Fellas,

I've been doing griddle burgers far too long and yesterday I did a copy cat TX Double Whopper from BK on the PBJ. It was off the hook charbroiled goodness with perfect smoky flavor and an amazing crust.

Full thread is in QTalk

I burned mesquite

kyHQmWKh.jpg

Freshly ground chuck

k0EKgEFh.jpg
Looking at your charcoal basket, looks like you have a mix of coals in there. Did you just use lump for the burgers. I have been hesitant for short cooks on the PBC.

Looking at your charcoal basket, looks like you have a mix of coals in there. Did you just use lump for the burgers. I have been hesitant for short cooks on the PBC.

Good eye RR! It's about 80% mesquite lump and about 20% RO lump. I only used RO to start the fire. A half full PBC chimney and dumped over the unlit mesquite in the basket.

Thank you for posting this - I've been in the same boat - very hesitant to try burgers on the pbc as I was worried the grate would be too high and it wouldn't get hot enough to develop a crust...think I stand corrected! Is lump the key here so it gets hot enough?

Thank you for posting this - I've been in the same boat - very hesitant to try burgers on the pbc as I was worried the grate would be too high and it wouldn't get hot enough to develop a crust...think I stand corrected! Is lump the key here so it gets hot enough?

:thumb:

I personally prefer lump for grilling but briquettes will do just fine. Just make sure you load up the basket. I've even grilled steaks and you get beautiful crust without the chance of burning your food since the grate sits higher.

:thumb:

I personally prefer lump for grilling but briquettes will do just fine. Just make sure you load up the basket. I've even grilled steaks and you get beautiful crust without the chance of burning your food since the grate sits higher.

Thanks! I was going to ask what you think of doing steaks on it. Amazing! I was convinced there would be no way to get a nice crust on steak with the fire so far away.

Thanks! I was going to ask what you think of doing steaks on it. Amazing! I was convinced there would be no way to get a nice crust on steak with the fire so far away.

So long as your fire is hot.

qzxfvaKh.jpg

that's right I remember seeing the beautiful photo posted a while back! Any differences you can pinpoint cooking it on the pbc vs. say a weber kettle?

that's right I remember seeing the beautiful photo posted a while back! Any differences you can pinpoint cooking it on the pbc vs. say a weber kettle?

Basically, it's like doing direct and indirect at the same time. End to end pink on the inside and a beautiful crust simultaneously. Works great on thick cuts especially. Raised grate works nice.

Love that PBC steak photo, Sako. Just to be clear, are you doing a type of reverse sear on that steak (lower heat followed by max heat)? Or are you going full fire from the start? And what's your experience hanging a thick steak vs. on the grate--any insight? Maybe your original thread gives details--haven't found it yet.

Love that PBC steak photo, Sako. Just to be clear, are you doing a type of reverse sear on that steak (lower heat followed by max heat)? Or are you going full fire from the start? And what's your experience hanging a thick steak vs. on the grate--any insight? Maybe your original thread gives details--haven't found it yet.

Thanks Kanco! It's full fire from the get go. I prefer hanging since that allows the meat maximum exposure to heat on all side as heat rises. Plus no grill marks for a TD or something. The lid goes on and off depending how much color, bark and doneness you're looking for.

With the above steak, it was a "your best grill shot" throwdown so I didn't want to poke a hole in the steak with a pull sobi laid it on the grate. Basically went pretty with that one.

I usually hook when the steaks are thick enough. It's basically a judgement call on regular cooks since I don't want to deform the steaks either. Thin enough and the shape gets screwed.

Old pics but as an example something like a tomahawk or tried tip I hang. PBC kicks ass on large cut grilling.

20131014_170654.jpg

They come out just killer

20131014_175414.jpg

I have and I followed Malcom Reeds Smoked French Dip sandwich recipe. It was delicious!
I had to use a foil 8" x 8" x 2" disposable pan to fit on the PBC for the Au Jus.
The Eye of Round sat naked on the grate. I'll make it again for sure.

Chad
I seen that last night. Looks great. I winded up doing a stove top with a recipe that mimicked Phiippe’s in LA? Never been so cannot compare, but when you want good Roast Pork and Beef South Philly!! Did turn out ok. Was quick and hit the spot! Going to try Malcom's recipe real soon.

Back