Myron Mixon

Pitbull

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Anybody ever tried the Myron Mixon quick brisket method? I've seen a few threads on it, but it seems there are a number of variations. I've Googled it and found nothing. How'd you go about it and how did it come out versus low and slow? :?:

Anybody ever tried the Myron Mixon quick brisket method? How'd you go about it and how did it come out versus low and slow? :?:

I've tried several samples that various people have done. Some have been much better than others. More than one person on this site uses, or has used, his method. Hopefully they can give you some more info.

Yes, we have tried it many times and won a few first place briskets here in Texas.

We use it for catering
A lil short on flavor I find
Not bad but not great
Zilla of course being a Texan
has a great advantage on me

Google Hot and Quick
OH maybe not that will get you something else

I can't find the thread but I think once someone here made a very good point that I remembered

Here is it paraphrased to the best of my recollection...

Cooking a brisket hot & fast is one method, but associating Myron's name too it and then tweaking it in some ways can no longer be called his method.

Ex. even by using a different cooker that may be more/less humid, foiling/not foiling or at different points, injecting/not injecting etc) should not be called his method as it may get taken out of context and become something it is not.

I can't find the thread but I think once someone here made a very good point that I remembered

Here is it paraphrased to the best of my recollection...

Cooking a brisket hot & fast is one method, but associating Myron's name too it and then tweaking it in some ways can no longer be called his method.

Ex. even by using a different cooker that may be more/less humid, foiling/not foiling or at different points, injecting/not injecting etc) should not be called his method as it may get taken out of context and become something it is not.

That's a good point. I have tried cooking them hot and it is a cooker dependant method, 25 degrees one way or the other made a big difference for me. Anyway, for the record I have picked up tips along from the way from Ed, Tim, possibly you too, as well as others on a couple of other forums. The bark was the hardest thing for me to get the way I liked it. There are several threads here on this subject......After two years, here is where I am at now:

I use an injected brisket, cook at 325 until the point is 160*, wrap in foil until the internal of the flat is 185-190*, then rest at least 2 or 3 hours in a cooler. I have also done a second injection just before wrapping in the foil too.

From my notes here is the post that sparked my interest in this method. I'm 99% sure it came from the Klose board....

Posted by Brad Morrell on December 13, 2006 at 09:23:59:
In Reply to: Fast Cooking Brisket-need some thoughts/help posted by Belly Up on December 13, 2006 at 07:40:52:
Phillip, I cook briskets using the "Myron Method" (I call it that to give credit to Myron Mixon, who taught me to cook brisket this way) all the time - including in competitions. And we cook them on the WSM. In fact, that's ALL we cook on. We have four that we use in Competition.

Here's how we do it:
Put your brisket on and cook at 325-350. We began leaving the water pan out altogether and have seen positive results. The fat drips down onto the coals and helps to flavor the meat. Mmmmmm, good!

Anyway, after about an hour and a half, begin checking the internal temp in THE POINT. Once it gets to 160, double wrap the brisket in HD foil.
After about another hour and a half, begin checking internal temp again. Once it gets to 190, pull it off the cooker, wrap in a towel or blanket and let it rest for two to three hours.

When you get ready to slice, carefully unwrap the foil. There will be a lot of juice in there. Pull the brisket out, saving the natural juices.
Slice the brisket and use the au jus (natural juices) as a dip for your brisket.
The guideline is 2 hours on, wrap for two hours, and take off. However, that is just a GUIDELINE. Sometimes you'll hit the 160 and 190 mark after an hour and a half, sometimes it will take the full two hours. It just depends upon the brisket and the cooker temp.
BTW, the lowest we scored in comps this year using this method was 5th place - with two 1st place trophies.

The method works, and is the only way that we cook brisket now!
Good luck!
Brad Morrell
BABY GOT RACK!
www.BabyGotRack.net

I'd also check with Kickassbbq. He cooks hot and fast too!

I''ve done it a few times, but they always came out to pot roasty for me. Not enuf smoke and flavor. . Smoke ring was not as deep as a 225 one either. Not saying they were bad.. I just prefer the lower temps using my pits.

What I did notice the few times I saw it... myron has some heavy white smoke coming from his pit when hes doing high temps. That may be a difference too.., I did high temps but with clean smoke.

We use it for catering
A lil short on flavor I find
Not bad but not great
Zilla of course being a Texan
has a great advantage on me
I find the same results. The flavor is a bit less when cooked fast, but is still good, and the quick cooking time is really nice. Myron injects, so he makes up for the flavor with the inject.

I been hearing about a hot and fast for butts too. I might try the brisket like that but I think I'll leave the butt idea where I found it. No pun intended.

What I did notice the few times I saw it... myron has some heavy white smoke coming from his pit when hes doing high temps. That may be a difference too.., I did high temps but with clean smoke.

If he was cooking on one of those Jack's Old South cookers, it could potentially be all the steam if he's using water in the water tray.

Wayne of the Mokan Meatheads has been cooking that way in his WSM without the waterpan.

On any given weekend in Texas most teams cook the hot and fast brisket. If you do it right I don't find a lot of difference. Just start if off at about 275 - 300 for about 2 to 3 hours and then foil cook till tender about 195-200 pull and rest in an ice chest for at least 2 hours. Depending on the size of your brisket this should take between 5 and 7 hours.

I have done brisket like that a few times. It cooks faster and is tender and juicy but to me there is a difference in how concentrated the flavors are. I prefer lower temps.

Back