• Yes

Votes: 32 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

garyk1398

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Today i picked up a food grade drum and wanted all the drum-heads to chime in as to whether or not this is the dreaded red-lining. It was not like my last drum which was shinny on the inside. This new one almost looks like spray paint is very smooth. It's tan in color almost like the color of a Ken-doll....I know what you are thinking so don't ask!

Worse case scenario...I'm out $18

Last edited:
I had something similar on an apple juice drum. More red in color. It will burn out but mine took forever.

oh yea. good luck, it can be burned out but it takes quite awhile. just when you think you have it all you find a ton more. I had my drum over flowing with oak, flames shooting way up in the air on day one. day 2 wire brushed entire drum and took the weeburner to her brushing as I went along. day 3 same as day 2 and then I finally got it all out.

Yes... took a weedburner (on high) and blasted the outer paint... the inner liner flaked off from the high heat. Took care of both sides... just oil it soon thereafter.

It will take a while... almost to a "cherry red" hot.

Just do it in sections (wax on, wax off - Miagi mod.)

I had to burn my red-lined one out with wood, then use the weed burner on the outside to get it to turn completely loose. The liner merely changed color (it turned light pink; some go to white), but did not flake off. However, after the barrel had cooled, I hit it with a pressure washer, and it all washed right off -- inside and any left on the outside. At the same time, I also did a clear lined barrel, which turned white, but I wound up hand wire brushing it to get it loosened more so it would wash off.

Bubba- I did that with a lined barrel. I let it run at 250 for 10 hrs on a test burn. Other than a little black that could be wiped off it was untouched. The next day I bumped it up to 385 for 5 hrs. Same thing. I'm not a chemical engineer but I have the feeling that its as safe as or safer(lower heat) than the gassers that are lined. BTW- I loaded it with hardwood and tossed it in a huge spruce bough fire and it came out completely burnt off.
I would pay an extra $50 for a new unlined barrel that would save me 3 or 4 hrs and not leave me wondering...

Bubba
I ran a 3 hour HOT burnout on mine and still spent hours with wire brushes getting the paint off. I would have left it alone if i would have known it was baked on that hard.

Paul

Mine has the same kind of color on the inside.
I scrubbed a small spot with sand paper and I think I saw bare metal.
Is that also liner?
Sorry I don't have pics right now and it's too dark for my phone to take pics outside.
I'm eager to know what to do,burn or wirebrush.(don't want to lose the paint on the outside if it's not necessary)

I had the same liner in it & I fought with it for a couple of days until one of my boys sand blasted it for me (old, fat & lazy mod).

You ever think if its that hard to remove, maybe just leave it?

Discuss.

I agree with you Bubba if it is that hard to remove why go to the hasle of trying?

Bubba- I did that with a lined barrel. I let it run at 250 for 10 hrs on a test burn. Other than a little black that could be wiped off it was untouched. The next day I bumped it up to 385 for 5 hrs. Same thing. I'm not a chemical engineer but I have the feeling that its as safe as or safer(lower heat) than the gassers that are lined. BTW- I loaded it with hardwood and tossed it in a huge spruce bough fire and it came out completely burnt off.
I would pay an extra $50 for a new unlined barrel that would save me 3 or 4 hrs and not leave me wondering...

If the two burns that you mentioned above didn't phase the liner, just curious as to why you went to the next step of hardwood and spruce?

I wasted 10 lbs of propane in the weed burner and then a day with a high heat burn. Spent 30 mins. with the wire brush and gave up.

Cost me $30 to have it sandblasted clean! Only way to go if you can't get a bare metal drum.

a guy at my church said he'd blast a barrell for me for 10 bucks.

You ever think if its that hard to remove, maybe just leave it?

Discuss.

I have done this before. What I found was that after a period of time (maybe a year), the paint does break down to the point where it will flake off the barrel. Any accumulated grease will come with it and, depending on what you built, it could wind up on your food. So I don't do it anymore.

The color of the liners seems unrelated to the toughness of it. Clear liner has been tougher than the red in some barrels, like the two I just did, where that was the case.

It is really not that hard to remove, it just takes some time. It took me one burnout and half a day with the torch and pressure washer to do 2 barrels. I just played the torch along the outside of the barrel until the liner turned a light dull color inside, then washed it out after cooling with the pressure washer. Used about a third of a tank of propane.

Had I known I was going to use the torch anyway, I would have simply done that and skipped the burnout. (BTW, H-F has the torches on sale now for $19.)

The lining removal is the hardest part of a UDS build. After that, it's easy as pie.

Mine has the same kind of color on the inside.
I scrubbed a small spot with sand paper and I think I saw bare metal.
Is that also liner?
Sorry I don't have pics right now and it's too dark for my phone to take pics outside.
I'm eager to know what to do,burn or wirebrush.(don't want to lose the paint on the outside if it's not necessary)

Today I wirebrushed a piece of the inside and it became bare metal.
I think it's just paint but do you call this a liner ?
Or is liner plastic?
Did a search on it a while ago and all I could find was plastic bags within the drums that are called liners.

Attachments

• SP_A0697.jpg
    SP_A0697.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 64
Ok,thanks Paul.
I think I'm gonna grind the rest off instead of burning the barrel,or somebody has to have a good reason why I shouldn't.

Back