• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Can I freeze Hatch chili peppers before roasting?

NCGrimbo

is Blowin Smoke!

Batch Image
Reaction score
I've got a package of peppers coming in this week, but the weather may not cooperate with me. If it doesn't, I won't be able to roast the pepper for a few days and possibly up to a week later. So I'm wondering if I can freeze the peppers and then roast them at a later date when it's a nice day without rain?

Thanks!

I would wonder if the texture might change after thawing them back out.
Often freezing causes the ice crystals to break down the cells and cause a mushiness.

But given the perils from freezing Versus the perils of spoilage...
I'd go for freezing. Might be just fine.
Can you contact the source to ask them? :rolleyes:

You'll be roasting mushy peppers once they thaw out, I wouldn't even think about freezing them.

Freezing is fine provided your intent is for the chilis to go strait into what ever you are cooking, however roasting needs to be done prior to freeing and IMO the chilis will freeze better.

I always get my Hatch chilies during roasting events (you roast them at the store where you buy them). Much easier than roasting them yourself. I agree with the previous poster, freezing and thawing/roasting may be a challenge (mushy).

A quick google search shows some scheduled roasting events in NC: http://www.ihatchchile.com/in/north-carolina/

Dont know if you're near these:

Harris Teeter
Green chili roasting
2080 Kildaire Farm Rd, Cary, NC 27511
August 18th & 19th 2018

Harris Teeter
2107 Hillsborough Rd, Durham, NC
August 24th and 25th 2018

I would wonder if the texture might change after thawing them back out.
Often freezing causes the ice crystals to break down the cells and cause a mushiness.

THIS! Peppers are mostly water anyway. Unless you have a blast freezer you will end up with mushy peppers. Much better to freeze AFTER roasting.

Back