KCBS Involvement

Who was the driving factor behind the decision to lower the purse and not give trophies to top 25 in TOY?

Time for all of us to start doing our homework, and decide which of the 2020 Board Nominees will be the most beneficial to the KCBS

https://www.kcbs.us/board_nominees.php

At this time, I am a "definite yes" on 2 new candidates (Cridlin and Wagner), "leaning yes" on an incumbent (Berry), and weighing the merits of a few others for a possible 4th vote.

I'm with you on Wagner. Hands down the most qualified candidate.

Time for all of us to start doing our homework, and decide which of the 2020 Board Nominees will be the most beneficial to the KCBS

At this time, I am a "definite yes" on 2 new candidates (Cridlin and Wagner), "leaning yes" on an incumbent (Berry), and weighing the merits of a few others for a possible 4th vote.

I think your preferred candidate that can give 4 hrs. per week might be in for a shock if elected.

In a perfect world it would be 4 hrs./month, and I'm hopeful that the hours required from board members will begin trending downward with the current CEO. Committee assignment plays a role in time required, but with each board member sitting on more than one committee ...

Who was the driving factor behind the decision to lower the purse and not give trophies to top 25 in TOY?

We received an email this afternoon from Emily stating that after tremendous feedback from the membership, that all teams in the top 25 in the overall and in each category will be receiving a trophy instead of a certificate. Doesn't change the money, but the money was already such a small token of the work to begin with.

If I can answer any questions about my positions feel free to ask

Michael Fay

Last edited:
If I can answer any questions about my positions feel free to ask

Not as much a question, as a comment. I was underwhelmed with your responses to the questions.

Between FB and here, you have been very open (blunt??) about your feelings re: KCBS. As a result, your answers came across as being overly restrained.

Additionally, your identification of the major KCBS issue which needs to be addressed , and your proposed solution to it, falls flat (to me).

You're still in the running for my 4th vote, but you were a "lock" before reading the published Q&A

Last edited:
We have discussed throughout this thread about different things the KCBS should consider to continue growing. One thing that I would like to see is a focus on the membership. Judging is subjective and there are only so many things you can do to standardize that process, but good food is good food and generally wins, regardless of the seating program used. Education is important hear and should be the focus in judging.

If you read the history of the KCBS on the about us page, you will see it started out as a small group that had fun and had a potluck at the end of January to celebrate the successes of the members throughout the year. As the organization has grown and membership has exploded, it seems that some of the mission of the KCBS is getting lost in its size.

Here is the Mission of the KCBS directly from the site.

"Recognizing barbeque as America's Cuisine, the mission of the Kansas City Barbeque Society is to celebrate, teach, preserve and promote barbeque as a culinary technique, sport and art form."

Who is it that teaches, promotes, and participates in bbq? It is the membership. The teams that choose to compete each week are the biggest ambassadors of bbq that the KCBS has. Teams that work hard chasing points throughout the year to hopefully make it in the TOY discussion are the teams that are more often than not, offering bbq cooking classes, promoting KCBS, and getting others excited about what could be by following this bbq passion.

At the beginning of every year, KCBS should outline what is in it for the TOY chase. They should set a minimum of what is paid out, both monetarily and hardware. This doesn't mean that it couldn't be added to with the help of sponsors along the way. Currently, every contest is required to pay KCBS a flat fee plus an additional dollar amount per team that registers for the event. Currently, for contests under 50 teams it is $350 flat fee + $12 per team. For a 50 team, 4-meat comp, the KCBS receives $950. Why couldn't the KCBS increase the amount from $12 to $14, or $17 per team? The organizers could increase their fee to enter by that amount of increase. That increase should be set aside specifically for the TOY. KCBS talks about there being 500 contests around the world sanctioned by them. Let's assume it is only 450. If the average contest has 25 cooks, then at $2 per team would add up to $22,500 allocated for TOY. If it is $5 per team, we have $56,250 for TOY payout without any sponsors stepping up to add to the pot. A $5 increase in entry fee would add up to $150 for a team cooking 30 comps, which is nothing compared to what that team is spending to cook 30 comps anyway.

A $5 increase in what is collected by each contest could build out the TOY for teams cooking fewer contests as well. Having a defined TOY program at the beginning of each year would lead to less uncertainty and give the membership something to look forward to for their hard work throughout the year. Why wouldn't we want to reward the teams that are the biggest promoters of BBQ? Many former TOYs continue to be strong promoters of bbq and being part of the KCBS and having success on the circuit is part of what has helped propel their bbq story. We has an organization should celebrate this to be better stewards of our mission.

A Board member that can support this idea is someone that I would strongly support.

At the beginning of every year, KCBS should outline what is in it for the TOY chase. They should set a minimum of what is paid out, both monetarily and hardware. This doesn't mean that it couldn't be added to with the help of sponsors along the way. Currently, every contest is required to pay KCBS a flat fee plus an additional dollar amount per team that registers for the event. Currently, for contests under 50 teams it is $350 flat fee + $12 per team. For a 50 team, 4-meat comp, the KCBS receives $950. Why couldn't the KCBS increase the amount from $12 to $14, or $17 per team? The organizers could increase their fee to enter by that amount of increase. That increase should be set aside specifically for the TOY. KCBS talks about there being 500 contests around the world sanctioned by them. Let's assume it is only 450. If the average contest has 25 cooks, then at $2 per team would add up to $22,500 allocated for TOY. If it is $5 per team, we have $56,250 for TOY payout without any sponsors stepping up to add to the pot. A $5 increase in entry fee would add up to $150 for a team cooking 30 comps, which is nothing compared to what that team is spending to cook 30 comps anyway.

A $5 increase in what is collected by each contest could build out the TOY for teams cooking fewer contests as well. Having a defined TOY program at the beginning of each year would lead to less uncertainty and give the membership something to look forward to for their hard work throughout the year. Why wouldn't we want to reward the teams that are the biggest promoters of BBQ? Many former TOYs continue to be strong promoters of bbq and being part of the KCBS and having success on the circuit is part of what has helped propel their bbq story. We has an organization should celebrate this to be better stewards of our mission.

A Board member that can support this idea is someone that I would strongly support.

Wow, Like you read my mind:mrgreen:
Michael Fay said:
How do we pay for these programs? Until we can find corporate sponsors, we institute a one dollar drop per team per event to fund the prize pools for the teams. While this seems like another form of team self-funding it’s a way to get the programs off the ground and show potential sponsors their success and sponsor exposure potential.

Wow, Like you read my mind:mrgreen:

I think TOY needs to be meaningful. It should also be meaningful for the teams that only cook 5, 10, 15, 20, 25 times. If a team can win the 15 and under and the overall, more props to them. By having something meaningful to chase, then maybe the teams that cook 2 or 3 will then want to cook 2 or 3 more and so forth to be in the running for the chase.

When the Board focuses on the membership, like they did in the beginning, then you will re-build the excitement that drove this organization to 20,000 members.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Fay
How do we pay for these programs? Until we can find corporate sponsors, we institute a one dollar drop per team per event to fund the prize pools for the teams. While this seems like another form of team self-funding it’s a way to get the programs off the ground and show potential sponsors their success and sponsor exposure potential.

I think there should always be a form of self funding to this. We don't want to get into another situation like we did when Sam's Club dropped their sponsorship. Sponsorships should add to the TOY to further enhance it.

I think TOY needs to be meaningful. It should also be meaningful for the teams that only cook 5, 10, 15, 20, 25 times. If a team can win the 15 and under and the overall, more props to them. By having something meaningful to chase, then maybe the teams that cook 2 or 3 will then want to cook 2 or 3 more and so forth to be in the running for the chase.

When the Board focuses on the membership, like they did in the beginning, then you will re-build the excitement that drove this organization to 20,000 members.

More mind reading :clap2:

Michael Fay said:
We already have the system in place to reward smaller cooking teams, we just need to implement it.

Michael,

Can you expand on this?

I propose a multi team (one Master Class and 3-4 Backyard teams) points chase where the team’s member ToY points are combined to create a Master/Backyard points competition throughout the year. Organizers would be brought in by siting the team groups together when possible to allow the Backyard teams easy access to their mentors within the rules.

Is this a proposal to allow backyard team points count in the overall like they would be in the Master Series?

Michael,

Can you expand on this?

I propose a multi team (one Master Class and 3-4 Backyard teams) points chase where the team’s member ToY points are combined to create a Master/Backyard points competition throughout the year. Organizers would be brought in by siting the team groups together when possible to allow the Backyard teams easy access to their mentors within the rules.

Is this a proposal to allow backyard team points count in the overall like they would be in the Master Series?

No, this is more of a mentor type team chase where up and coming teams can cook alongside a mentor and have their scores combined in a separate points chase. We'd even go so far as to ask organizers to site these "teams" together It would be a separate competition.

If we don't keep membership growing, or at least from falling, the IT issues, judging issues, Board transparency issues, etc doesn't really matter. If the membership is excited, the demand for contests will be there. Albeit, we need to figure out how to make contests more profitable for the organizers, because I heard one organizer mention that they made more money from a bake sale they hosted than the contest they organized. All of our other issues are just noise until we figure out the membership dilemma.

If we don't keep membership growing, or at least from falling, the IT issues, judging issues, Board transparency issues, etc doesn't really matter. If the membership is excited, the demand for contests will be there. Albeit, we need to figure out how to make contests more profitable for the organizers, because I heard one organizer mention that they made more money from a bake sale they hosted than the contest they organized. All of our other issues are just noise until we figure out the membership dilemma.
You are correct. Membership - specifically Cook membership is what drives this train. We need to retain current cooks and do our part to foster new cooks. We need to incentivize the low volume cook and work on wiping off the tarnish off the KCBS sanctioning brand to retain current cooks and bring more cooks into the KCBS fold.

As far as contests go, there are a number of ways to help them as long as they want to accept help. As long as they do we should be there to guide and assist them.

As far as contests go, there are a number of ways to help them as long as they want to accept help. As long as they do we should be there to guide and assist them.

SDP,
This is nearly 2020 and I am all about the pronouns :)

Preface: I've been here a while, was a CBJ for a short time but was not meet that commitment, so I need to ask.

This section of the forum has plenty of bitching of which contest went bad, what could have been done better, etc.

I highlighted the pronouns, but if one thinks of them all as "us" then shouldn't more skilled teams get into the "business" of hosting events in their local area and be the KCBS Rep for that contest?

The contestants know what the problems are, why aren't they also the Reps in their area?

Just curious, not picking on SDP

A part of the “Problem” has been created by well seasoned competitors who think they deserve to GC more than they do. And that’s just a high altitude observation...

A part of the “Problem” has been created by well seasoned competitors who think they deserve to GC more than they do. And that’s just a high altitude observation...

Guilty.

I really do deserve to win every time. Mr. Fay, how do you plan to fix that?

Back