• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Shoulder Didn't Pull

I haven't missed a promised meal time since my first cook when I am doing a pork butt, I estimate based on its weight and the temp how long it will take, then I add 3 hours to that time, and start cooking based on that.

when it is done I put it into a warm cooler wrapped in towels, and I serve when everything else is ready, or when my wife says it's dinner time.

I have no clue when dinner will be done, so I figure that into my method.

I haven't missed a promised meal time since my first cook when I am doing a pork butt, I estimate based on its weight and the temp how long it will take, then I add 3 hours to that time, and start cooking based on that.

when it is done I put it into a warm cooler wrapped in towels, and I serve when everything else is ready, or when my wife says it's dinner time.

I have no clue when dinner will be done, so I figure that into my method.
I use the same basic formula for planning. In example: Since I cook at 300 I know that equates to 50 min lb on Pork butts + rest time. if it goes 1 hr Lb oh well have a few more beers.

Last edited:
This is all really good advice for novices like me to learn from, but one thing I just don't get:

How do you all break it to your family that lunch might actually be dinner, or potentially even breakfast tomorrow? It kind of makes BBQ an operational nightmare!

There has already been good advice given but one thing I do when I am on a tight schedule and the group still wants BBQ – I smoke the butt the day before ( even longer if needed). I pull the pork and vacuum seal it (with a little apple juice and sauce) then toss it in the fridge. About an hour before we eat I toss the vacuum bag in some boiling water until it is heated through.

Granted it is not the same as just off the smoker but I have not had any complaints and I am not stressed out around the cook.

Back