• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Recipe request

baldbill

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Does anyone have a Slap your momma off the porch good recipe for Chili they would like to share. I am trying to hone the skills for a contest coming up later this year.:p

This is my momma's recipe that we love. It is not hot so we will have to add some heat to it

1 lb ground beef
1 med onion
1tsp each salt, pepper, garlic powder
2 15oz cans tom sauce
1 16 oz can chili beans
2 tbsp chili powder

brown your meat onion, salt pepper,garlic powder, drain add rest.

This is a very good simple mild recipe. You can add heat and be sure to adjust to your liking

I don't know how much you can rely on prepared powders......but.....I really liked the last batch I made using Cimarron Doc's Chili mix. I made the pot just like the recipe on the label.

I used 1/2 ground and 1/2 stew beef.

I browned the ground and onions, mixed the other ingredients in, then transferred it to the croc pot and added the raw stew beef. Simmered all day.

My family loved it.

My next batch will be done all on the grill in a cast iron pot. Leaving it in there at low temp simmering all day at low temps gaining the smoke flavor.

Good luck. Gotta love a great pot of chili.

I don't have a full recipe to share...I sort of just throw stuff together.

What I can say is that WITHOUT A DOUBT whenever I make chili with leftover smoked brisket everyone loves it. I have gone as far as smoking a flat just to make a couple batches of chili.

Each region has different ideas of what chili should be. Texas, for example, is pretty well a no beans included state. What type of chili are people looking for in your area?

Here are the winning recipes for the International Chili Society Cookoff series. (They do not permit beans in the chili.) You will find some great ideas such as adding beef broth and using several dumps of spices during the cook.

http://www.chilicookoff.com/Recipe/Recipe_Categories_Search.asp?Cat=1&StatusID=4&Champ=1

http://www.mildbills.com is a great online resource for special ingredients.

I just looked through the link Ron L. posted. The ICS link is in it. Oh well.

I have to admit I cheat. McCormicks tex mex mix, any kind of smoked meat leftovers beside fish, Rotel hot tomatoes, and ground habanero or bird peppers. You can get as much heat as you want and yes I do use beans.

Has any of y'all tried any chilli spices from Mildbill.com?
I seen "hesmellslikesmoke" mentioned the link

Is the chili powders there better than say, Kroger or SAMs club chilli powder?

Thanks for the info yall, the chili contest is for a cowboy day here in our town so am gonna go with a no beaner recipe I believe.

Has any of y'all tried any chilli spices from Mildbill.com?
I seen "hesmellslikesmoke" mentioned the link

Is the chili powders there better than say, Kroger or SAMs club chilli powder?

I would say yes. My suspicion is that the folks she managed to beat, used off the shelf regular run of the mill spices.

^^^Spice blends are probably better than store bought but if have your own concoction maybe not.. its all relative. I use a chuck roast smoked for a few hours cube it and throw it in the crock pot add all my goodies and beans. Beef to bean ration is around 3:1. family and friends have me making two variants one for everyone and the batch I would rather make that only a few can eat. The roast is what I believe makes the chili.

Back