Auto temp for WSM 22"

Freddy j

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Hey Brothers;

Waiting for my WSM 22 to arrive and I'm wanting to have an A.T.C. And meat thermometer. I received the brookstone wireless meat therm several years ago as a gift and use it every time I grill or roast.

I have my eye on the bbq guru cyber q wifi; I like the multiple meat probes and tablet/smartphone interface. Looks like the value is worth the price tag.

I'm interested to hear opinions of other WSM owners on the ATC's that hey use.

Thanks guys, I appreciate any advice, opinions, comments.

The WSM keeps very stable temperature and doesn't need an A.T.C. In my opinion.

Why not cook on it a few times and see what you think before you spring for one?

I have several Aubers. They are great for what they do, maintain the temperature. But, no wi-fi etc.

I agree about learning how to use it without any temp/fan systems first. Do you have other smokers? If so, consider the Stoker System as well. The system will allow you to purchase one controller and add fans/sensors for multiple smokers. For a 22 1/2" WSM, I recommend the 10 cfm fan.
If you do not have a second smoker, you may soon after you start enjoying your WSM. Another reason to consider the Stoker.

The WSM keeps very stable temperature and doesn't need an A.T.C. In my opinion.

Why not cook on it a few times and see what you think before you spring for one?
HSLS is wise!
Cook on it without any control systems and you may find that an ATC is unnecessary.

I have cooked on WSMs for years and can only recall one cook where I had issues getting to/maintaining temp, even in the coldest Wisconsin winters.

I think there is something to be said about learning to control your cooker without the temp control. Plus WSMs really don't need it.

With that said, I do use a Stoker system on my 22 and 18 WSMs at comps. More than anything it lets me get some sleep without having to worry about temps.

I just got a WSM and I do plan to get a Cyber Q Wifi for a couple of reasons. First, I want to do overnight cooks now and then and I can use my tablet to monitor it and set an alert to wake me up if it drops below a certain temp. Second, I want to push the temp a bit higher then usual and the fan will help with that.

However.... I don't plan to do that until I thoroughly understand my pit and can work with it in it's "virgin" state. So I won't be getting the BBQ Guru until the spring. I do plan to get a Maverick ET-732 so I can easily do remote monitoring.

Brian

Hey guys, thanks for hitting my thread; I really appreciate all the feedback.

Prob should've added to my original post that ill get my cyber guru pob in the spring or summer after I've had 6 months or so worth of using it to do some overnight, long turkey smokes, etc.

Also, having small children, it is difficult to plan blocks of time for things that I want to do and all too easy to tied up with the kids so, remote monitoring is very useful in these cases.

Some suggest buying a maverick for now and a guru later, but I'd hate to spend 60+ now and then more later.

So, no one using a cyberq on the WSM though?

Some suggest buying a maverick for now and a guru later, but I'd hate to spend 60+ now and then more later.

Believe me you will be happy if you get the Maverick. Quick and easy peace of mind. And if you decide you don't need it you can always sell it easily.

So, no one using a cyberq on the WSM though?

The guy I bought my WSM from used one with it. He loved it and said it was a great investment.

Brian

I have three WSM's. Two 22.5 and one 18.5. Have had them for about 18 months, many cooks. I considered getting a ATC until I cooked on them for a while.

As previously mentioned, you really don't need one. I cook anywhere between 225 and 300 and hold what ever temp I am aiming for with no problem for 12+ hours without having to reload coals. Biggest issue is when it is windy or cold and windy, wrap it up, or block the wind and you are fine.

After using a horizontal offset for many years, my biggest problem with my new WSM was finding something to do in lieu of adding fuel and constantly adjust the dampers to keep the target temperature.

I even remember thinking the thermometer was stuck and how i kept trying to tap it to make it become unstuck. :mrgreen:

I was hesitant to get a stoker, but went for the partyq. It's allowed for,peaceful nights

I agree that the WSM will hold temps like the needle broke on the thermometer, and I have cooked for years on my 18WSM without a temp controller with no problem. But I put an IQ110 my WSM last summer and love it. It makes my WSM as easy to use as the oven in my kitchen. Throw the coals on, set the temp on the dial, and walk away. My WSM is usually within a couple degrees of the temp I set on the dial at all times. This allows me to smoke foods when I am in doing other things and really don't have the time.

Chris

I don't use any ATC on my WSM, nor do I use a Maverick to monitor temps. I do use an $8 candy thermometer to monitor dome temps, just to keep it within a range, usually 275°~300° for most anything I want to smoke. I tend to mix lump & briquettes for longer burns, but also to maintain hotter temps. I am a big fan of hot-n-fast cooking, so this combination gives me excellent results.

Experiment with different cooks and take notes at first, making sure to write down how intake vent changes affect temps, and different atmospheric conditions, such as temp and wind speed. Since the WSM is uninsulated, these factors will alter your cook more than anything else.

Best of luck with your new WSM! :eusa_clap

I have a guru for my 22. They ae invaluable for long overnight cooks. Sometimes stuff happens on long cooks.

I use a CyberQ on my 22" WSM. Rock solid temp control. I put my big meats on and go to bed. Never had an excursion of more than 2 or 3 degrees. I started out with a "budget" controller and did not have a good experience. You usually get what you pay for!

Sent from my SCH-I905 using Tapatalk 2

I use a CyberQ on my 22" WSM. Rock solid temp control. I put my big meats on and go to bed. Never had an excursion of more than 2 or 3 degrees. I started out with a "budget" controller and did not have a good experience. You usually get what you pay for!

Sent from my SCH-I905 using Tapatalk 2

Well said. I'm a big fan of buying the right one the first time and crying only once.

Got half a dozen cooks on the weber now & it rocks. Love the idea of three meat probes on 1 unit that I can see from my phone or tablet. Got a food saver and the big model wsm so my plan is to smoke up a lot of meat on a smoke and use the foodsaver.

Also plan some overnight cooks.

Thanks again for your help guys!

I use the bbq iq 110 and couldn't be more pleased . I have used it without any controller but i like the piece of mind that the iq gives me.

Sent from my DROID RAZR

Back