First Shoulder Clod w/ Pron and more to come

jasonjax

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
After much consideration I decided to go with low and slow and make pulled beef for my first foray into cooking a clod.

The hunk o' meat weighed in around 21 pounds. I've been cooking it since around 7pm last night @225ish. I just added some beef consommé at 165* internal and foiled it in a pan raised a bit off the liquid.

I plan to take it to internal of ~195* and let it rest for a good hour or so before attempting to pull it.

8191212214_2ff0f2fb6f_c.jpg

8196582522_53c033b34f_c.jpg

Rubbed it with L&P thick worcestershire and a mixture of John Henry's Mojave Garlic Pepper and Oak Ridge Santa Maria.

Trimmed and rubbed. My hand for scale.(thats not blood, it is worcestershire) I don't have woman's size hands either.

8196582184_dc4365aca6_c.jpg

~14 hours low n slow, internal is ~165. I'm about to put it in the pan and foil it.

8196581938_5aca1c7165_c.jpg

I'll post more when I pull it. Hopefully it turns out well because it is a WHOLE LOT OF MEAT!

I think you made the right choice and you can use it in all kinds of recipes. So what time is dinner? :mrgreen:

I bought a clod once cut it into roasts and ground the less desirable ends. I've been thinking about getting another and butchering it into steaks, roasts, and ground beef. I'm looking forward to your results. Good pulled beef is hard to beat. I love it in green chile stew.

Last edited:
I do several shoulder clods every year. I think they are the most versatile cut you can cook. I did a couple for a party last summer, ran em up to about 160 and sliced em thin for cheesestak sammiches, YUM!
21 lbs. is a dang big clod most of the ones I get are around 10 lbs.

Lookin good!
You may find it necessary to go more into the 205 range to get that sucker to really come apart nicely.
Good luck!

I wish I could post the smell of this thing.

I wound up cooking it a bit higher temp than I originally planned because I needed to go run an errand so I took it to internal of 201* which might work well anyways based on Bubba's post.

Total cook time was around 20 hours @ ~224* and last three hours at ~200*.

It is uber tender. I'm going to let it sit for an hour and then pull it.

8197646994_460732021a_c.jpg

Finito!

The beef is excellent. Pulled beef at its finest. A little stringy as one would expect for beef, but from my estimation, the beef shoulder clod is as synonymous with a pork shoulder as any cut of beef I've cooked to date.

Adding the beef consommé was a nice touch in that I had a lot of aus jus to add back to the finished product and kick the flavor and juiciness up a notch.

I will definitely be continuing to experiment with this massive cut of beef.

8197971546_4a90f91682_c.jpg

8196878391_35d8829a23_c.jpg

Very nice! I did a shoulder clod about a month ago, same size if I recall. I found that some of the beef pulled very easy and some not so much. I'm assuming that's because so many different muscles make up the clod. I believe I'll try to remove of the of the tougher cuts from the whole before I do another. Agreed, the flavor is out of the this world!

sweet man my mouth is watering wish I had some to go with this frosty beer in my hand

Back