• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Cooking CAB Vs. Wagyu

bbqbrad

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Want to try a Wagyu brisket. Have always done CAB. I've heard that you have to do different things to a Wagyu. What are those things?

A+ thread........I'm going to smoke my first Wagyu at a local event next month. Hope we get some good feedback

Wagyu has more fat marbling so you don't need to cook it to as high of a temperature.

You might want to try a practice cook first. Making a major change like this at a contest could be a mistake.

I smoked a Wagyu for the first time at Dothan, AL contest.
BUT, I had a CAB also as a backup, just in case.
Worked out pretty good with a 1st in Brisket.

Only thing I have noticed is that Wagyu seems to ZOOM through doneness.
One minute it is not there, next minute it is pullable.
Watch it close at the end.

Good Eats.

TIM

I can say that I got nailed this weekend by the negative of a waygu. We usually do really well in brisket with either kind. BUt this weekend I was told that my brisket did not have grain in it. Well I can assure you that it was wagyu and that was the problem, maybe too tender/

Wagyu has more fat marbling so you don't need to cook it to as high of a temperature.

You might want to try a practice cook first. Making a major change like this at a contest could be a mistake.

That's a very good point especially looking at the other responses below.

Thanks!

So let's see..... You can cook slower, it will cook faster and done at a lower temp. Is that about it? really?

So let's see..... You can cook slower, it will cook faster and done at a lower temp. Is that about it? really?

Brad--no magic here.
It is a brisket, nothing more, nothing less.

It has a higher fat content and the fat is different than other breeds/types of beef.
But, it is still a brisket.

Try not to overthink it--OK?

Good Eats.

TIM

Don't kid yourself that it's done at a lower temp. The Akiushi (or however you spell it) is an American version of Japanese Kobe. It will be done lower - sometimes as much as 170 degrees. Wagyu is 50% Kobe (American version) and 50% black angus (most often). It is done from 195 to 202 in my experience. And en route to 5th Brisket ToY last year, I cooked about 30 of them. Almost every time, I had them out of the cooker at 198 to 202.

Don't kid yourself that it's done at a lower temp. The Akiushi (or however you spell it) is an American version of Japanese Kobe. It will be done lower - sometimes as much as 170 degrees. Wagyu is 50% Kobe (American version) and 50% black angus (most often). It is done from 195 to 202 in my experience. And en route to 5th Brisket ToY last year, I cooked about 30 of them. Almost every time, I had them out of the cooker at 198 to 202.
Totally agree with you Jeff!..we always cook waygu at Comps and it's done exactly in the range you stated..I'll add one more thing..cook it till it's like buttah!

I will defer to the experts. I haven't had the need to cook wagyu before. I had just heard from some others that it tends to be more tender so it doesn't need to be cooked to as high a temp. Perhaps not true, but definitely worth practicing to find out how it works for you in your cooker.

I agree you pay more money and must pay more attention.

Back