I May Have Sinned But I Feel No Shame

Porchpup

Full Fledged Farker
We have talked about my major rib failures before so I decided to change things up.
I have convinced myself that I just don't like the taste of smoked ribs.
By reading posting here and doing a little research here is what I decided to try.

One rack of Baby Backs. Yes this where "enhanced" but that's what I had to work with.
Knowing that they used a salt brine/baste, I strayed from using salt on the rub.
Instead I use a little cayenne pepper, chilli powder and cracked black pepper.
BBR10.jpg

Got the coals on the Weber up to 450 and seared each side for 3 minutes.
BBR12.jpg

BBR13.jpg

I had the gasser set up for indirect heat with a water pan and maintaining 250.
BBR17.jpg

After 3 1/2 hours with no smoke, no foiling, no basting, no nothing but turning end to end and moving from front to back.
BBR23.jpg

Turned out WONDERFUL. Crisp bark, very moist and tender.
BBR21.jpg

Cleaned right off the bone but best of all they had a pepper taste instead for the off taste I just don't like in smoked ribs.
BBR22.jpg

The only sin you committed was not sending me some :mrgreen:

Those look wonderful.

To smoke or not to smoke is a personal decision, regardless that is some good looking grub

It's okay. Take a deep breath and we will talk you through this.

Slowly set down the tongs and very, VERY carefully start easing back from that gas grill. When you get far enough back that an errant flare up can't get to you, turn and run like he!!. Seriously, though, people have different tastes. Have you tried different woods? No wood?

My dad commented once or twice about my ribs tasting too smoky. When he's gonna eat, I cut back the flavor woods tremendously, just use one small piece of oak.

Two other things I always do when smoking ribs is let the drum burn for an hour before adding the ribs, and let the ribs sit out of the fridge for an hour before putting on. It worked for him.

Ditto to what Hugh said. Use less (or maybe a different type of) wood if you're not liking the smoke taste. Pecan or oak have a milder flavor than mesquite or hickory, IMO.

Grub looks good. Why waste propane and not just put them in the oven? That's a nice looking gasser, we always need an excuse to use it! I'm not ashamed of mine, I use it at least once a week, kettle gets the rest of the work. Good job!

Grub looks good. Why waste propane and not just put them in the oven? That's a nice looking gasser, we always need an excuse to use it! I'm not ashamed of mine, I use it at least once a week, kettle gets the rest of the work. Good job!

Unless there's a gas-fired stove already in the house...

If this would be BBQ monopoly you would go directly to the pokey with out no chance of exodus. I congradulate you on your salt free quest.

when i first did ribs i used hickory chips. sure didn't like the taste and i actually had a reaction to the smoke. so much reading later i knew it was ok to try othe woods and to use just a little and try variations until i found what i liked. now i mostly like using pecan or oak and i use very small pieces of chunk. no gassers here:p

Those look pretty good to me!

Have you tried doing it with the sear on the Weber set up for indirect (Sear over the coals), pull the ribs for a bit while the temp comes down, then put them back on indirect over lump for the finish? - might work out (shrug).

I frequently grill my ribs on the Weber kettle. I use salt, pepper and granulated garlic. Direct high heat charcoal for a few minutes then indirect for 35 to 45 minutes until tender. Totally different taste versus smoked ribs.

Those looks good and it is good the hear that you got some ribs you liked a lot. I wonder if you wouldn't get the same product going over lump alone, without flavor woods. But, hey, if you are happy, they sure look tasty, I would have eaten them.

They look good to me! Whatever way works for you is the best way.

I think all that matters is that you found something that you like.

Two other things I always do when smoking ribs is let the drum burn for an hour before adding the ribs, and let the ribs sit out of the fridge for an hour before putting on. It worked for him.
Drum? What drum?

Back