• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Organizing Recipes

Twelvegaugepump

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I have a ton of great cookbooks and links to recipes I find online. I struggle keeping all of the "must try" recipes at the top of my mind when I am planning for weekly meals. How do you all keep future recipes organized? Once I have tried a recipe, I blog it or put it on a recipe card. I am struggling with ones I have not cooked yet.

I have a directory called Recipes. For recipes on the web, it is best to 'print as PDF' or or 'save as PDF' in that directory. If your browser does not have that built in, a Windows alternative is "Cute PDF." Can't speak to the Apple crowd. If you save a link, the page could be moved or disappear.

If you have the recipe in some other form, copy the file to that directory.

If you want to, you can score the recipes by prepending something like '00_" or 'AA_' to the name (e.g. 00_ to 99_ to give some idea of how badly you wish to try.) That way the names will sort in order of desirability. Of course the rest of the name should be something meaningful like "00_Joes_Porkchop_Brine..."

My OS is Linux,I created a file in My documents folder called" Cook Book" with sub folders for different categorizes IE; BBQ with sub folders> Sauces>Rubs> Beef> Pork> Chicken. I also use EverNote, and My Bowser is Opera that has a Note app built in for quick saving different things I use it to C&P into posts.

I hear ya man. I have recipes all over the place - binders, scraps of paper, bookmarks on my computer, saved in a dropbox folder - you name it.

Recently, i have started organizing everything in Evernote. Whenever I find a recipe online ( which is where I find most of them now), I make a new note in Evernote and save it.If I cook a recipe, i edit the note with any comments or remarks from the cook. This way I have all my recipes handy - on my phone, home computer, laptop, work. It seems to work very well so far.

I also have recipes everywhere. In side all my bbq books are where most of them are but, I hardly ever look at them books any more since I found the Brethren. :thumb:

I too use the puter to collect and organize. But rather than a single folder that has a ton of stuff I have made sub folders for appetizers, pork, beef, and styles like asian, greek, italian, etc. I also divide each sub folder into keepers and to do. Anything i try and not like is deleted (no sense in keeping something I dont like)

I intend to collect enough of the good ones and make one of those online photo books where they bind it in a hard cover and make my own cookbook of favorite recipies. Then I have a vanity cookbook and all my good recipies in one place. My son and other family members always ask for my recipies and I think a book of em would be a great gift. My son has been interested in cooking for some time and now proper BBQ techniques so what better way to pass these one.

Sounds like we are all wrestling with the same issue. I am going to try to be more diligent with Evernote. I might scan recipes from cookbooks into it if I can find the time. I love the idea of creating your own cookbook of favorite recipes. Thanks everyone.

I use Evernote. It has a great web clipper. It has online storage as well as applications for your computer or phone.

"Organized people are too lazy to look for things" :laugh:

Seriously though, I print all mine and place them in a binder. Simplicity is nice!

Last edited:
I have an app on my ipad called reciepe book. You use the app too look at reciepies online and than you can just import the reciepes to the app. works great.

I use Evernote. Either the web clipper or just copy and paste. I love how it syncs between my phone and laptop, so if I always have access.

glad this was posted, been thinking the same for a bit now and gonna give Evernote a try. I know other parts of my life this would come in handy

I use Paprika too! I love it. I have an ipad and I like that I can set it on the counter and the app keeps my ipad awake the whole time I'm using it. I keep untested recipes in the uncatorigized section. When I try them if I like it I put it into the categories that apply or delet it. The app is easy to create recipes with off the Internet and a lot of websites it just grabs it and does it. I think it's my favorite app:-o

Back