First smoke on the Christmas WSM

The Cosmic Pig

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
After receiving the missing parts from Weber - and getting a day off - I was finally able to take the new WSM on a test drive! It consisted of a pork loin, a fatty, and a rack of baby backs. They all came out great! The ribs were the best I'd ever made, I do believe! Here's a little pr0n!

basketballbbq009.jpg

basketballbbq010.jpg

basketballbbq011.jpg

basketballbbq014.jpg

basketballbbq025.jpg

Congrats on your new tool. Now get 'er dirty and show us the pr0n!

I meant lots more pr0n! :icon_blush:

Fine looking track of ribs
Thanks for sharing
Enjoy the new cooker

Sent from my SPH-M820-BST using Tapatalk

Looks really good.

Some sage WSM advice for a newbie: Line the water pan with tin foil before you cook. It makes clean up easier. (Well, it does for me. YMMV)

WSMs are great to cook on, aren't they?

I like staring at a nice rack as much as the next guy but man does not live by such titillation alone. Time, temp, foil, rubs, sauce? I'm not a piece of meat you know. I have a mind too. :razz:

Fine looking rack. You are gonna love the WSM.

(One more hint. No reason to put that empty bottom grate under there just to have to clean the drippings off of it.)

Looks perfect, thanks for posting!

Looks really good.

Some sage WSM advice for a newbie: Line the water pan with tin foil before you cook. It makes clean up easier. (Well, it does for me. YMMV)

WSMs are great to cook on, aren't they?

You know, I really, really, really meant to do that (line the water pan), but in the excitement of the moment I totally forgot! :doh: I spent a lot of time thinking about how I was going to run my remote therms, and the water pan became literally a non-issue. I meant to go ahead and put a ceramic plate in there, but I couldn't find the right size this time of year!
Yes, I totally enjoyed the cook! The WSM held temp a lot better than I thought it would! I'm totally pleased! :thumb:

Fine looking rack. You are gonna love the WSM.

(One more hint. No reason to put that empty bottom grate under there just to have to clean the drippings off of it.)

Thanks for the compliment! I did thoroughly enjoy the cook! I was especially impressed with how long the 3/4 charcoal ring of charcoal lasted (about nine hours), and this at between 225 and 250 degrees!

I'm totally with you on the bottom grate, but in this case I had cooked the pork loin down there and didn't bother removing it when I pulled the loin. I'm always conscious of that since my BWS has 8 grates in it! I so hate cleaning grates... :tsk:

I like staring at a nice rack as much as the next guy but man does not live by such titillation alone. Time, temp, foil, rubs, sauce? I'm not a piece of meat you know. I have a mind too. :razz:

FUNNY! Okay, here's the scoop: I like cooking at about 225, especially early on. But first things first! The rack was rubbed with about the fourth version of Chris Lilly's "suggested" rub build mixture in his book. They were thrown on the smoker dressed only in that rub. I spritzed them at semi-regular intervals with a mixture of apple juice, water, and a wee bit of bourbon. They actually cooked a little hotter than 225, though, as I let the smoker temp drift up as they cooked, but never above about 240. This was basically an experimental cook, and I didn't keep things on the straight and narrow too much of the time! After almost exactly three hours, though, I wrapped them meat side down with a coating of honey and brown sugar. They stayed on an hour that way until I decided to check them. They were pretty much done at that point, so I removed them from the foil and applied a three part sauce mixture; two parts my home-made, one part Blues Hog original, one part BH Tennessee Red. They only stayed on the smoker for about 15 minutes that way. But I was pretty much playing the entire cook by ear, as I was mostly just watching how the smoker acted the entire time. I'm well pleased with the new toy! Thanks for your interest! :thumb:

Looks good watch out the wsm addiction can be quite harsh.. Just ask owners how they multiply....

You know, Parrut, I've noticed that! But as easy and fun as the cook was, I certainly know why now! And they just look so dang cool, too! :heh:

Back