Shoulder Clod 25 pounder!

Desert Dweller

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
So I decided to give this shoulder clod a shot, yes, it was my first time. I am disgusted with the price of Brisket, but I love the stuff. :idea: So I spoke with my brother (Rookie'48) and a meat cutter I know and decided to give this bad boy a run... Started at 25 lbs, rendered down to about 11 pounds (whew!) One of the shots shows 1 three pound bag, 1 two pound bag and 5 one pounders; The rest went in my belly as snacks overnight. I bought it at RD at 2.39 a pound.

Lathered in mustard and hit with Dizzy Dust (course grind) and some Kirkland Steak Rub I was gifted with, smoked in the BDS over Pecan for 10 hours and the proof is in the pictures... :clap2: Tasty, tender very moist and bound to increase my waistline! Enjoy, I did...

Attachments

• Shoulder Clod 006.jpg
    Shoulder Clod 006.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 274
  • Shoulder Clod 005.jpg
    Shoulder Clod 005.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 271
  • Shoulder Clod 007.jpg
    Shoulder Clod 007.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 271
  • Shoulder Clod 008.jpg
    Shoulder Clod 008.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 272
  • Shoulder Clod 002.jpg
    Shoulder Clod 002.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 272
Last edited:
Oh hell yes! :clap2: :hungry:

I've been wanting to do a shoulder clod, and would be if I hadn't found brisket for cheap recently. A clod is very high on my list of things to do.

What temp did you cook at to get that critter done in 10 hours?

Started at 25 lbs, rendered down to about 11 pounds...

I don't know how many people I've heard say that you don't lose as much weight during cooking with clod as you do with brisket. I've wanted to dispute that, but having never cooked a whole clod myself I've not said anything.

This particular cook does look to support the notion that you lose as much weight with a clod as you do brisket.

Looks awesome by-the-way. Didn't mean to hijack, but it's great to know what your experiences were.

This particular cook does look to support the notion that you lose as much weight with a clod as you do brisket.

QUOTE]

IMHO you loose more with the clod. My experience is about a 60% loss with the clod and I have never lost that much with Brisket, BUT, for "pulled" beef it is better than brisket.

Glad to see you can still cook Bo. :wink:

What cut is a Clod? I would like to try one but they are not sold as "Clod" here.

Shoulder.

It's the boston butt of the beef world (sort of...but not really).

Is it for your Boys?
If so I want to be your Son too!:becky:

Nope, this is for sale...

Looks beautiful, did it just fall apart when you shredded, or was there a little pull to it?

A little pull. Removed from smoker at 192. Fall apart would have given soft texture, mushy...

{Midnight ☼ Smoke};1745052 said:

What cut is a Clod? I would like to try one but they are not sold as "Clod" here.

By it's name it must be part of the shoulder. A Meat Cutter friend said it was connected to the Chuck Roll...

By it's name it must be part of the shoulder. A Meat Cutter friend said it was connected to the Chuck Roll...

Yes, the shoulder and it looks like this:

100_0612.jpg

43 lbs. of beefy goodness. Try it sometime ~ you'll love it!

{Midnight ☼ Smoke};1745052 said:

sams and costco ( northside) both had clod last sat when i was up there terry.

Bo, lookin good, is the clod a bunch more marbled than a brisket? that would be where all the meat went if all that fat rendered out.

mmmMeat,
Not sure if marbled is the right term.(That said we all know I can be dead wrong about chit) Certainly a heavier outer later, closer to 1/2 inch in some spots, and heavy bands of fat inside. I don't know that the main body of the meat had more smaller ribbons running through it (that is what I normally call marbleing.)

Hi Bo,

Looks farkin fantastic to me... Are you sure it does not qualify as a chucky? I think it's that big, it has the whole chucky as part of it!

Cheers!

Bill

Back