• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Contest Results 8/3-4, Battle of the BBQ Brethren, Manorville, NY

There was a nice mention in today's Newsday ('Top Things to Do' section) and in the 'Dining Out' section of the Pennysaver.

Looking forward to next weekend.

Eric

There was a nice mention in today's Newsday ('Top Things to Do' section) and in the 'Dining Out' section of the Pennysaver.

Looking forward to next weekend.

Eric

yup, I got the heads up from the folks that still read the print version of Newsday.

BBQ Page.jpg

when i look up at the banner i don't see a KCBS sanctioning.

BBQB/MABA/NEBS

Greg, Mark not kcbs, read the rules, 7 pieces in the box..... still a qualifier though.

see you saturday late!! we are rolling in after the car show...

Last edited:
Looks like we are going to have some great weather!

As a note, regardless of whether or not you are competing/judging, we'd love to see you at the event. Come down, say hi, have a good time.

Weather2_zps7d41d985.jpg

Eric

This isn't a KCBS event. It's MABA and BBQ Brethren sanctioned.

Eric

OK. That stinks. Thought we were going to get 10 contests in for TOY scoring but not so (not that it matters but wanted to see how we fared with a full 10 contests counting). So now I have some questions.

CBJs? percentage?

I see the scoring is different. What program is being used. Do we just have someone entering scores in a spreadsheet? Lot of talk recently about scoring lately so just curious. Should we expect team printouts?

Do all 6 scores count? I do not see anything in scoring about dropping the lowest score.

Rules say 'yes' but I would like confirmation on these:
Are 7 samples going to be required with each entry?
Are beef ribs going to be accepted in the beef category?

heres some clarifications in BLUE

OK. That stinks. Thought we were going to get 10 contests in for TOY scoring but not so (not that it matters but wanted to see how we fared with a full 10 contests counting). So now I have some questions.

When we decided to have the contest after all, we were inside the 90 days required for KCBS so we sanctioned with MABA and BBQ Brethren, which ARE recognized by the Jack And AR.

CBJs? percentage?

We are currently 100% CBJ. We will know final % at the contest because we never know who will not show up. We do have extras onsite to cover no shows, but we always look for 100% CBJ. Additionally, Judging refreshers are ALWAYS given from at 9AM to 11am the morning of judging.

I see the scoring is different. What program is being used. Do we just have someone entering scores in a spreadsheet? Lot of talk recently about scoring lately so just curious. Should we expect team printouts?

Do all 6 scores count? I do not see anything in scoring about dropping the lowest score.

We drop the lowest score. Our scoring system was professionally written in C# and Visual Basic over the course of almost 2 years of testing. Its not a basic spreadsheet and yes you will get a printout. Differences are: Scoring uses half point intervals and texture tenderness is weighted highest.

Rules say 'yes' but I would like confirmation on these:
Are 7 samples going to be required with each entry?

By the BBQ Brethren rules, 7 samples are required in the boxes. This was done to give the table captain a sample just in case a judges score does not make sense, he or she will then have something to sample before reporting to the reps, and it also makes it easier for a judge to be assigned table captains. However, we have taken team feedback from other BBQ Brethren events into consideration and during the cooks meeting the contest reps will discuss with the teams allowing 6 pieces for chicken ONLY.

Returning to 6 pieces is on the list for the rules committee for a possible change next year.

Are beef ribs going to be accepted in the beef category?

BBQ-Brethren category is a BEEF category, not Brisket. It can be Long Bone short Ribs or Brisket, or a combination of each.

The ribs must be Long Bone Short ribs (A.K.A Dinosaur bone). A minimum 3 bone rack must be cooked complete and ON the bone and sliced off for turn in.

Long bone Sandwich. :)

dinobonesammie_zpsd8822d98.jpg

Also, I sent out an email update and cooks packet last week to email addresses on the applications. If anyone needs a copy send me your email address or ask your 'chief cook' as listed on the app, they should have received it.

dinobonesammie_zpsd8822d98.jpg

Phil,

My birthday is Wednesday. Would you make me one of those dino bone sammiches for my birthday.........just asking.:icon_smile_tongue:

ok... thats just plain old unfair. All we have to eat is leftover Chinese food or capt'n crunch..and u post that? :mmph:

Yes, thats them. Make sure they are not cut too short.. sometimes, when purchased at a butcher, Ive had them cut to 4-5 inchs where the butcher cuts the plate in half. Problem there is that they shrink to nothing and sometims one half is nothing but fat. Thats why we look for the whole plate. Restaurant depot sells the full plates like in the picture above.

Dino bones are one of my favorites, and i find them more challenging than brisket to get them dead on. I learned to cook them from Adam Perry Lang and still cant duplicate his.. I think it was an awesome idea of our rules committee to include them in the contests. It brings us outside of our comfort zones and gives us a different challenge.

I think I may sign up for judging. Would that be allowed? :twitch::twitch::twitch: (thats a joke)

I think I may sign up for judging. Would that be allowed?

Please send in your application to judge and we will put you on the alternates list. Are you a cbj? If not, you will be put on the turn-in tables.

If you aren't familiar with how BBQ events work, please come early and we will introduce you to the event reps and have a 'contest primer' for you.

Eric

ok... thats just plain old unfair. All we have to eat is leftover Chinese food or capt'n crunch..and u post that? :mmph:

Yes, thats them. Make sure they are not cut too short.. sometimes, when purchased at a butcher, Ive had them cut to 4-5 inchs where the butcher cuts the plate in half. Problem there is that they shrink to nothing and sometims one half is nothing but fat. Thats why we look for the whole plate. Restaurant depot sells the full plates like in the picture above.

anyone got a sample photo of what a turn in box would look like for these?

so, to clarify, the dino bones are cooked on the bone, but the bone is not turned in ...just the meat for judging?

Please send in your application to judge and we will put you on the alternates list. Are you a cbj? If not, you will be put on the turn-in tables.

If you aren't familiar with how BBQ events work, please come early and we will introduce you to the event reps and have a 'contest primer' for you.

Eric

Dont you have an ice truck to chase?

:caked:

I'm looking to see if someone might be able to store my trailer for the week?

Cooking Brethren and Sam's.

Back