Carne seca doughnuts anyone?

Gore

Phizzy

Batch Image
Reaction score
Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis
I normally don't cross-post in the regular forum. Actually, I normally don't cook for Q-Talk at all unless someone decided to make a cooking show out of it. I'm wondering why that didn't happen this time. :noidea: Anyway, this was just too goofy not to share here. For some reason I got very lucky and my wife picked up a chuckie to make some carne seca. I love carne seca, but it is very hard to find here. We haven't adjusted the recipe to this yet, so don't be too shocked. The recipe begins with a good boiling. This is a Pitmaster T type of Texas boil with lots of spices that get infused into the beef. After a couple hours, we take it out.

IMG_7135.jpg

and shred it by hand.

IMG_7136.jpg

This is mixed with two cups of the juice that we created from the boil and again reduced, then spread on a cookie sheet

IMG_7137.jpg

This is mixed with salt, chile powder and put into the smoker to give it some smoke and dry it out.

IMG_7141.jpg

After a few stirrings, we end up with something that is heavenly.

IMG_7143.jpg

I absolutely love carne seca chimichangas, and this was a super treat. I'll just show the pics, cause it's pretty self-explanatory:

IMG_7145.jpg

IMG_7146.jpg

IMG_7159.jpg

IMG_7160.jpg

Now that was one of the best chimichangas I've ever had, but that's not the full story because with all that hot oil about someone decided to make some doughnuts.

IMG_7138.jpg

IMG_7139.jpg

IMG_7140.jpg

Maple-frosted and coconut were the two favorites, mmmmmmm

IMG_7166.jpg

Those were yummy

IMG_7142.jpg

But where's the fun in that when you have carne seca just waiting to be explored. So, aside from the traditional doughnuts, we feasted on these carne-seca doughnuts (TD pic below):

IMG_7156.jpg

Yes, I did say carne-seca doughnuts. The frosting is made of Sweet Baby Rays and Sriracha. We added a bit of powdered sugar so the frosting would set. I know most of you like sprinkles, and what better sprinkles than BACON.

The doughnuts look awesome! I saw no pic of the carne ones,just a blank.

They are there now.????
Not sure whut happened.

Last edited:
Sick, you're just sick! Send me donuts so I can forget this ever happened

i don't even know where to start with the accolades... I'm speechless. one of the best goshdarn cooks I've ever seen here.

It's all showing up for me.

How 'bout the spice bill for the boil?:pray:

Needless to say I'm hungry.:biggrin1:

I have a fix on were you live and after this fiasco............I am following you home..........better bolt the fridge door shut.better yet weld it shut...........:thumb:

I like mixing heat and sweet. And, the carne seca chimichangas look like something my doctor would NOT approve of, therefore, I want one.

I love a good. fresh donut, too, but not with coconut. Maple works!

I also notice that we own some of the same major cookware. Wow, two smart people and an art major with the same pots and pans. That's gotta sting, a little. :becky:

CD

It's all showing up for me.

How 'bout the spice bill for the boil?:pray:

Needless to say I'm hungry.:biggrin1:

ten cloves of sliced garlic,
3 tbsp vinegar to help break down
1 tbsp salt
1 tbsp black pepper
1 tbsp NM chile powder
8 cups water

Ingredients are approximate -- we generally add more.

We actually save the leftover water as a base to make enchilada sauce

After pulling and reducing, the meat is seasoned with
lime juice (one lime)
salt
pepper
NM chile powder

then it is dried out on the smoker, 275* for about an hour or so, mixing occasionally.

I'm loving the carne seca stuffed doughnuts. Even though I'm a fool for chimichangas, I think I might like the doughnuts even more! :clap2:

Had something similar once. Carne seca com batata. Was just spooned onto the plate and served with rice and beans with flour tortillas on the side. Been so long ago I had almost forgotten about it. Until now I had never seen it prepared and I love the way you went with it, so I really need to put your recipe to the top of my cooking to-do list. Thanks so much for sharing!

Last edited:
hmm...sounds like basic math to me:
chuckie = good
donuts = good
chuckie + donuts = great :thumb:

and that chimi looks amazing too!

Back