New Braunfels Silver Smoker

bhurst10

Reaction score
I just wanted to say this site has help me out a lot. I recently purchased a New Braunfels Silver Smoker from off Craigs list for $70 everything I had read about seemed like it was a really good grill. Thick medal and a lot of the modifications that I read on this site and others seemed pretty easy to do. So here are my before and after pictures, today is the first day after doing a couple of test runs that I am actually smoking two slabs of ribs. It has been going on two hours and my temp has been holding good at 220 F. Right now I am in Virginia Beach, Va and the temp right now outside is is 45 F. So let say I am very happy :clap:. A few of the mods I did I added the Heat Deflector between the firebox and the Smoker. I made a tuner plate out of my fiance cookie baking sheet. She said ti was old and I could have it. I also extended the exhaust stack down to the grates. I added two temp gauges to at on both sides of the smoke box at the grate level. I also got some expanded metal and made a charcoal basket. Lastly I sealed up all the air leaks with high temp RTV. And like I said she is holding temp good at 220 F going on 3 hours now. I almost forgot I sanded it down primed it and paint with high temp paint in my favorite football team colors. In all I thing I may have invested another $70 on top of the $70 I paid but I feel it was very well worth it and I really think I am going to enjoy it.

Attachments

• NEW BRAUNFELS SMOKER GRILL PROJECT3.jpg
    NEW BRAUNFELS SMOKER GRILL PROJECT3.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 444
  • NEW BRAUNFELS SMOKER GRILL PROJECT2.jpg
    NEW BRAUNFELS SMOKER GRILL PROJECT2.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 432
  • NEW BRAUNFELS SMOKER GRILL PROJECT1.jpg
    NEW BRAUNFELS SMOKER GRILL PROJECT1.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 429
  • NEW BRAUNFELS SMOKER GRILL PROJECT.jpg
    NEW BRAUNFELS SMOKER GRILL PROJECT.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 434
  • Falcons Smoker.jpg
    Falcons Smoker.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 429
  • Falcons Smoker 1.jpg
    Falcons Smoker 1.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 428
  • Falcons Smoker 2.jpg
    Falcons Smoker 2.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 428
Nice looking rig! A little TLC can do wonders to an old gal like that. My silver smoker got the same makeover when I first bought it off CL. I just used flat black BBQ pit paint instead of the custom paint job. Mine is not an NB though. Its the old Char-Broil one when they bought out NB.

Impressive!! How many man hours would you say that restoration took?

I have the same kind minus the shelve. I modified mine into a reverse flow. They can produce some fine BBQ once you learn to cook on them. Although yours may never cook right with that dirty bird on it.... Just kidding, paint job does look good. Nice restore!!

Very nice.
What's the difference between a NB Silver and the Black Diamond model? They look the same to me.
I know the NB Hondo has wire shelves on the fire box & cook chamber instead of a wood shelf on cook chamber only. Otherwise all the same.
BTW... is that a Falcon on there??? ewwwwww!

Looks good. I was actually looking at that smoker on craigslist last week (Since im in Va Beach). Funny to see the person that decided to buy it shows up on the forums!

P.S. Welcome to the Brethrens!

Nice rig! I did the exact same mods to my char- grill smokin' pro with side firebox, but I also made it a reverse flow. You can kick out some pretty good "Q" on these things.

Nice restoration!

The NB Sliver smoker and the NB Black Diamond are very similar as far as design. The Black Diamond had an optional warming plate while the Silver did not.

The main difference is age. The Silver Smoker was first introduced in 2001 several years after the acquisition by Charbroil. The Black Diamond dates back several years earlier.

A good rule of thumb is to try and find a New Braunfels smoker made before Charbroil shut down the New Braunfels manufacturing plant (Spring 2002). Manufacturing then switched to Georgia and ultimately China.

In time it took about two weeks but I wasn't working on it every day. But if I had to estimate totally time I would say about six hours. The longest time took sanding it down, and letting the primer, and paint cure.

I would very interested in seeing some pictures of your reverse flow if you have any thanks.

Hey thanks I have been doing all my smoking on my Weber Kettle 22.5. I invested in the smokernator and I tell I honestly think it is an awesome smoker just wanted to try the offset and couldn't pass up the price.

I started out with a $25 model just like that. I picked it up a a church garage sale after the guy who owned it passed away and his wife wanted to get rid of it. Made the same mods except for the tuning plate. Took a while to get the hang of it, but I finally got to where I could turn out pretty consistent ribs and brisket. After four years, I put it back in the same church sale for $50 and went to Academy and bought an Old Country Brazos offset for a grand. Weighs 600 pounds and is much easier to work with. It already had all the mods except for the fire basket I threw together out of expanded metal. Uses quite a bit of fuel, but it has capacity for four times as much meat ast the NBBD I had and is much more consistent and forgiving. The Silver Smoker will either teach you how to smoke or drive you into the arms of the WSM/UDS crowd. Good luck.

That is one of the best refurb jobs I have ever seen, great work indeed. I still have my original and first NB silver smoker and use it mostly these days as a charcoal grill. I would love to try and spruce it up like yours, nice going!

Nice rig! I did the exact same mods to my char- grill smokin' pro with side firebox, but I also made it a reverse flow. You can kick out some pretty good "Q" on these things.

I was looking at the photos and this beast really lends itself to becoming reverse-flow. My buddy has one and he brings it to the park every weekend for grilling, but rarely actually smokes in it.

I have the same smoker. I'd like to see some pictures of the deflector you did and the turning plate if you don't mind.

Also, what is a reverse flow for those that mentioned it?

Back