rubs for boston butts,chicken and chuck roasts

JT's Smokehouse

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I'm going to do my first cook on my huge lang 84 this Saturday if all goes well. I was hoping to get some good recipes for rubs as I will be doing a Boston butt a whole chicken a chuck roast and a a couple pounds of sliced bacon on the tail end of the cook. I would just love a rub that gives a nice black bark on the butt. As for the chicken just something that tastes savory. I plan on smoking the bacon with a little brown sugar.

I'm going to do my first cook on my huge lang 84 this Saturday if all goes well. I was hoping to get some good recipes for rubs as I will be doing a Boston butt a whole chicken a chuck roast and a a couple pounds of sliced bacon on the tail end of the cook. I would just love a rub that gives a nice black bark on the butt. As for the chicken just something that tastes savory. I plan on smoking the bacon with a little brown sugar.

For butts I like:
salt, pepper, granulated onion, granulated garlic, paprika.
I cook 275-300f, no wrap. Get good dark color.

For chicken:
Mayonnaise and Plowboy's Yardbird.

Never done a chuck roast, but most brethren will tell you to cook like brisket.

if you are interesting in buying rub call up the guys at Oak Ridge BBQ. They make an awesome product and you'll save money in the long run

I use a mixture of paprika,kosher salt, black pepper,lemon pepper, crushed red pepper, cayenne, smoked cayenne, sugar,brown sugar, onion, garlic, coriander,honey powder,and cumin (seems like there's a couple more things I throw in it...can't remember right now) in my rub for butts. Actually, I use it on just about everything.

Back