• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Cookin Ribs

DevineSwine

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I have always cooked ribs direct over my charcoal and was wondering if indirect was worth trying? Will I still get the nice color and a little char on my sauce.

You'll still get great color and the ribs will be much more tender. If you want char, you can always hit it quickly on direct heat right at the end.

I wouldn't sauce 'em until there about completely done. You could do them indirect till there done then sauce them over direct to set the sauce.

I have always cooked ribs direct over my charcoal and was wondering if indirect was worth trying? Will I still get the nice color and a little char on my sauce.

Indirect cooking is far superior for ribs. Check out KCQuer's Roadmap to the QTalk Forum that is posted with a sticky at the top of this forum. Check out the 3-2-1 Method for cooking spare ribs, and the 2-2-1 method for cooking baby backs. While there are certainly other methods that work well, these are excellent and turn out good ribs every time.

I seem to pick up on mixed reveiws on the end result of ribs. I have heard people say that they should fall off the bone while others say there should be some resistance. What do judges look for?

I seem to pick up on mixed reveiws on the end result of ribs. I have heard people say that they should fall off the bone while others say there should be some resistance. What do judges look for?

Comp rib: needs a little pull to it.

Home rib: a little pull, or fall of... both are good.

Hey thanks a lot fellas gonna try that 3 2 1 method

Hope you like them. Remember that the times are to be used as guidelines only. Actual times can vary by quantity of meat on your pit, size of ribs, outdoor temp, etc.

Your pit temp for this method should be ~ 225.

Last edited:
Hope you like them. Remember that the times are to be used as guidelines only. Actual times can vary by quantity of meat on your pit, size of ribs, outdoor temp, etc.

I agree about being careful with 3-2-1. Keep an eye on them as you are in the third hour. You may need to foil early depending on your rig.

"Fall off the bone" ribs are what chain restaurants push because it takes no skill whatsoever to cook them that way. When the meat falls off the bone it is overcooked and mushy, suitable for baby food. The restaurants keep 'em hot for hours then slather on gallons of bright red sauce to give them some taste. Puke.

Please try the suggested 3-2-1 method (it's a classic) until you're getting ribs that still have the flavor of meat, pull away from the bone, and aren't overpowered by sauce. You'll never go back to burning them over the coals again.

If cooking on a UDS go 4 no foil. or 2.5-.45-1 if you use foil. cook 200 on side gauge= @230-250 center grate.

Here is a recent Jedi Dog cook on a UDS.
IMG_0248.jpg

IMG_0250.jpg

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=100759

If cooking on a UDS go 4 no foil. or 2.5-.45-1 if you use foil. cook 200 on side gauge= @230-250 center grate.

Are you saying 4 hours and no foil or 2 1/2 hours without foil and 45 minutes foiled? I cooked my first UDS ribs last weekend using the 3-2-1 method and they were a little too done. Temp. was 250 center of grate. I figured next time maybe 3-1.5-1 ?

3-2-1 for me all the way! Makes Spares better than baby backs. I used the same method on boneless beef ribs this past weekend but left them in the foil for an extra hour (3-3-1) and they turned out awesome. It's a bonus because you can pick them up for less $$$ than pork ribs here in Texas.

Back