water pan... yes or no?

RookieTJx2

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Should I add a water pan to my build project? Are they necessary or just a bonus?

You gonna get a ton of opinions on this one :)

Just so you have the ability to use water if you ever wanted to, I would recommend you include it in your project. Water helps as heat defuser, keeps the environment moist, and helps in keeping temps low.

Some use water only, some never use water, and some switch depending on the cook.

Good luck in your project...

You gonna get a ton of opinions on this one :)

Just so you have the ability to use water if you ever wanted to, I would recommend you include it in your project. Water helps as heat defuser, keeps the environment moist, and helps in keeping temps low.

Some use water only, some never use water, and some switch depending on the cook.

Good luck in your project...
He nailed it. No other responses are necessary. Better to have it and not need it...

Try it with
Try it without
See what you prefer/works best for you
You could even use apple juice for pork, etc.

Its personal preferance at the end of the day

After I posted this thread, my genius kicked in and I thought, "maybe I should ask the actual owner if he wants one". He does, but that brings up another question...

My fire box to chamber opening is five inches high and my plans were to put the tuning plates at eight inches high. The smoker door opening is ten inches. If I kept all the dimensions I have the water pan would basically be sitting on the tuning plates. So, what should I change? How much distance should be between the pan and the plates?

Before anyone asks, the tuning plate height and door height were arbitrary numbers, so those can be moved (I'd rather move the tuning plates simply because it would be easier).

Moist environment? Lol It doesn't make meat moist.

It depends on the smoker. UDS and WSM style cookers don't need water. Cabinet Smokers need it more to buffer the heat for more even rack cooking.....other than that water is just a fuel waster. What is the build?

I have a water pan that I put just above the deflector and slightly above the tuning plates. It sits right next to the firebox at the intake opening and I use a stainless deep 1/4 restaurant pan for the water pan. I welded a flat spot in place so it sits level. This works for me, but others are successful without using water pans at all.

How high are your tuning plates from the top of your fire box to cook chamber opening?

I have never seen the need for a Water pan in ANY cooker, they just makes ya burn more fuel. What's that term again.......??? oh yeah "Fire management" Small Hot Fire seems to work real well. Not saying it's wrong some folks like to put cruise control on a cooker too. If it helps ya sleep nights it don't bother me.

How high are your tuning plates from the top of your fire box to cook chamber opening?

the tuning plates are actually about 2 inches below the top of the firebox/cooking chamber opening. the deflector plate angles down from the top of the opening and then the tuning plates run level with the low end of the deflector plate.

Back