Help with Buckboard bacon

roknrandy

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Ok, I followed the instructions on the package (deboned, rubbed, turned on the 5th day) and today is day 10. I took the butt out of the container and there are spots of odd colors on the meat (almost light green) :oops: looking :shock: Is that normal? Should they be cut off then added to the smoker or just toss it and give up?? :cry:

Get ahold of JeffinKC, we were just discussing this Saturday. Sounded like he knew what he was talking about. Or at least the Shiner Bock sounded good!

light green? I have done alot of buckboard bacon and have never seen green. Occasionaly you will get a very light gray or tan color where the blod has left the meat or it was exposed to air.

Did you have it refrigerated the whole time? Did you add anything else to the meat, salt, pepper, maple syrup, etc.?

Attachments

• bacon1.jpg
    bacon1.jpg
    216.5 KB · Views: 171
NorthernQ said:
Butt bacon? Buckboard bacon?? Is that also known as Hillbilly bacon?
Boneless butt cut in half, cured and smoked.

Peter--assuming that you are asking a real questions here, look at:
http://bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17085
Post #27 for some background reading.
There are some other threads around also.
Great stuff!

As to green on meat--does not work for me :twisted:
Meat = cheap, Doctor = expensive :lol:

Just my thoughts.

TIM

Yeah, if I saw green on it, I think I'd toss it. Not sure why that would happen. I got my method from Neil in Michigan and only did it once (might get some going tomorrow if I have time. Seems like it would taste good at the bash! that peppered version above looks out of this world good!

Midnight I'm not sure what happened, but I'm going to toss it and put the steaks and chicken on instead. It was in the fridge the entire time and I didn't add anything to it. Oh well....try try again. Thanks everyone.

Had the same thing happen on my first try with BB. If the fridge is too cold (35-37*), the meat won't cure, and you'll just end up with...old meat:cry: . Adjust so it is as close to 40* as possible (39-40) to let it cure. Just remember over 40* puts you into the "danger zone", plus your beer won't be as cold!

roknrandy said:
there are spots of odd colors on the meat (almost light green) :oops: looking :shock: Is that normal?

Do these green patches look a little like an 'oil slick' or sort of the colour sheen you can get on fresh fish (but green) (best descriptions I can think of)???

The_Kapn said:
Peter--assuming that you are asking a real questions here, look at:
http://bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17085
Post #27 for some background reading.
There are some other threads around also.
Great stuff!

As to green on meat--does not work for me :twisted:
Meat = cheap, Doctor = expensive :lol:

Just my thoughts.

TIM

Yes, the question is real - the link, unfortunately, is not the one you intended. I will do some research in the archives but, in the meantime, here is the recipe I was referring to originally. Very simple and very inexpensive.

Hillbilly Bacon (Butt-Roast Bacon)

1 boneless pork butt
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup TenderQuick
1/2 cup honey (or maple syrup or molasses)

Mix the brown sugar and TenderQuick thoroughly. Slice the pork butt in half horizontally.
Thoroughly coat both halves with the sugar/TQ mixture and rub in well.
Shake off excess and put the roasts into a large plastic ziplock bag. Put the bag in the fridge for 6-7 days to cure.
On the 3rd day, pour off any pooled liquid, flip the bag over and return to fridge.
On day 6 or 7, remove the meat, rinse thoroughly and soak in cold water for 2 hrs to remove some of the saltiness.
After the 2 hours, remove the meat from the water and dry with a paper towel. Heat honey (or molasses or maple syrup), just enough to thin. Brush meat with honey/mollasses/maple syrup.
Smoke at a temp of 200 F until you reach an internal temp of 140 F in the thickest part of the meat.
Cool in the fridge. When ready to eat, slice thin and use the same as you would regular or peameal bacon.
Suggested smoking wood: hickory, cherry, apple, pecan.

I have added fresh ground black pepper and sometimes, a little ground chipotle to the cure. Most agree that maple syrup is the way to go.

Be sure it's REAL maple syrup and not that Log Cabin crap or anything like it!

CarbonToe said:
Do these green patches look a little like an 'oil slick' or sort of the colour sheen you can get on fresh fish (but green) (best descriptions I can think of)???

It's Green :mad: :mad: :mad: so I tossed it. It was streaks of a light green that penetrated into the meat not just on the surface :shock: . The fridge is set at 44 degrees. I guess thats too warm for this.

roknrandy said:
It's Green :mad: :mad: :mad: so I tossed it. It was streaks of a light green that penetrated into the meat not just on the surface :shock: . The fridge is set at 44 degrees. I guess thats too warm for this.

Spot on Randy. 38* is where you need to be for curing meat. Anything above 40* is in the "danger zone" where those bad nasty bugs grow.

Back