Bacon Gravy

R

Rusty_Barton

Made some bacon gravy and served it over biscuits.
Here's the recipe I use.

Bacon Gravy

6 slices bacon
2 tablespoons bacon grease
2 tablespoons flour
2 cups milk
salt and pepper to taste

1. Preheat cast iron skillet to medium-hi. Place 6 slices of bacon in the skillet and cook until just crispy.
2. Remove bacon from skillet and drain; set aside. Leave 2 tablespoons of the bacon grease in skillet. If there's not enough bacon grease, add some butter, margarine or oil to make 2 Tbs.
3. Add flour to hot bacon grease, and whisk together. Cook for about a minute without burning the flour.
4. Add milk; whisk together, make sure to stir out all lumps. Turn down heat to medium.
5. Meanwhile, crumble bacon and add to gravy. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
6. Heat until bubbling. Simmer for 5-10 minutes, until gravy starts to thicken and gravy if full of bacon flavor. Remove from heat.
7. Serve over biscuits, buttered toast or mashed potatoes.

How do you make bacon gravy?

Don't do this to me...not fair as I am still on my New Years resolution (except for a small diversion with beer in Finland:eek:) In the gym at 5am.....but this sure sounds good!!!

My recipe is close, except I add sausage, or a crumbled fatty to the gravy, to give it a little "depth"!

I made some 'Cracked Pepper Buck Board Bacon' that I think would work out well in your recipe...

May have to do it up for dinner one night!

Many years ago I made about 5 gallons of bacon gravy every day for a place I worked at. I like to cook the flour a bit longer allowing it to toast. I look for a light brown just a shade or two lighter than peanut butter. It helps bring out the flavor in the gravy 1000 times.

That's the same recipe that I got from my grandmother that goes who knows how far back. I've handed it down to my kids as I think it makes the best milk gravy ever. I always use bacon grease but will sometimes add crumbled sausage and plenty of pepper. I also like to brown my flour a bit longer but the longer you brown the flour the less thickening power it has so the milk has to be adjusted for that. You can fix that gravy and biscuits for me anytime.

I'll have to try browning the flour more. Adding crumbled sausage also sounds good. Thanks!

One day I was out of bacon but wanted bacon gravy. I used butter in place of the bacon grease.
For the crumbled bacon I used 2 tablespoons of imitation bacon bits.

Well I made the gravy. It didn't taste too bad. Not as good as real bacon gravy, though. But the strangest thing
was the bacon gravy turned out LIGHT PINK! The coloring from the imitation bacon bits came out and colored the whole
mess of gravy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back