How to smoke a turkey

J

JamesTX

We're thinking about doing the turkey in the smoker this year. How do you do it? What temp do you keep the fire and how do you know when to take it off. Any rule of thumb on how long it takes to cook - for planning purposes?

I run at 225-250.....don't know how long it takes, never checked, look for about 170 degrees in the thigh or shake its leg....if it falls off....probably done:biggrin:

The tough part is finding the papers big enough. Really what JPW said

I run my smoker around 300*, and when the leg twists in the knee joint it's ready.

You must have one patient family. Mine wants to know exactly when they're going to eat.

Then the only sure way is cooking on Wed, then reheating in the oven on Thurs. Thats a surefired tried and true method of exact time.

By the way, you cant rush good que. Its done when its done. ( now bring me another beer, standard answer)

This can be a very dangerous thing folks. This is one time you may want to run your smoker at a higher temp then normal. 300 is a good temp for turkeys get the temp up in in your smoker and keep it up. After a couple of hours then you can lower it. Just my .02

I have been smoking my turkey's at 225deg for years..
a 12-15 pound bird takes 6 hours.. give or take.
Use a meat Thermometer just to be safe.. wrap the breasts
in bacon. they will stay moister.. I stuff my turkeys with fruit
the juices from the fruit will also help keep your birds moist..
any more questions just ask :icon_blush:

I used a vertical smoker cooked it at 250 cant give you much of a time but, I went a bought a case of the GIANT Heiniken keg cans and did it beer can style. The juices just poured out, best turkey I ever had!!really, it was.

Brine.
Put butter under skin.
Season.
Stuff with Onion, Celery, Carrots and Apples.
Smoke at 275.
Take it out when thigh is 170.
Eat.

Simple.

I've been tryign to do some research on this the last couple of days. And most of what I've found says what Nitrofly says except the temps I've been seeing are closer to 300, do a search for turkey on here there are a few threads that give general ideas.

My neighbor and MIL said that it would be easier to buy a turkey from the Honey baked Ham company(for $70, for just the bird) but that's no fun, and expensive.

One thing I've seen is that you need to get a turkey with no "solution added" usually between 8-12% although I've seen a few around 6%. If you brine a turkey with the X% solution added it might come out tough, because of having to much salt.

Can you take it to 180 like chicken? Or will it be to dry?

Last year I smoked a fresh turkey at 225 until the little plastic thingy popped up.
Hmm, I wondered. I took my meat thermometer and inserted it in the thickest part of the thigh and viola! 170F - Perfect.
This one took me almost exactly nine hours, or about 30 minutes per pound.
Another thought for you is that this was NOT a stuffed turkey OR a turducken.

I like the "Worth the Wait" turkey from the Smoke and Spice book. I've done it for a few years in my GOSM gasser at 220-250* with excellent results.

If this is your first time attempting a turkey, I would bite the bullet and pick one up now for a trial run. That way, just in case it don't work out no one will hate you for it on the practice run.

For me, things have been working out at 30 min a pound at 250*.

The whole breasts smoke up nicely at 220*

Never had a dry one.

Whole birds go into the fryer. That solves the light/dark meat done time difference.

Back