• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

No sugar

Mo-Dave

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Anyone know of a rub, commercial or homemade without sugar or any other sweeteners added?
Dave

Dave, I used this once on ribs, it was pretty tasty, I swapped fresh ground black pepper w/ the cayenne.
NCgriimbo has on simalar...Found this on tvwb.

[FONT=Verdana,Helvetica,Arial]Sugarless Texas Sprinkle Barbecue Rub[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana,Helvetica,Arial]1/3 cup table salt
1/4 cup paprika
3 Tablespoons chili powder
2 Tablespoons ground black pepper
1 Tablespoon ground cumin
1 Tablespoon granulated garlic
1 Tablespoon cayenne
[/FONT][FONT=Verdana,Helvetica,Arial]Combine all ingredients and mix thoroughly. Makes about 1 cup.[/FONT]

Check the Smoke and Spice Cookbook - I believe they have a couple without sweeteners. I have a "finishing" rub that I sprinkle on my pork after it is pulled that does not have sugar in it. I don't know that I would use it as liberally as I would my standard rub (with sugar).

Can Splenda be used as a substitute for sugar?

If you google mainley dave, he made his own rubs using Splenda. This was for weight loss.

Just thinking out loud here, Good luck on your request.

Dave, I used this once on ribs, it was pretty tasty, I swapped fresh ground black pepper w/ the cayenne.
NCgriimbo has on simalar...Found this on tvwb.

[FONT=Verdana,Helvetica,Arial]Sugarless Texas Sprinkle Barbecue Rub[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana,Helvetica,Arial]1/3 cup table salt[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Helvetica,Arial]1/4 cup paprika[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Helvetica,Arial]3 Tablespoons chili powder[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Helvetica,Arial]2 Tablespoons ground black pepper[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Helvetica,Arial]1 Tablespoon ground cumin[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Helvetica,Arial]1 Tablespoon granulated garlic[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Helvetica,Arial]1 Tablespoon cayenne[/FONT][FONT=Verdana,Helvetica,Arial]Combine all ingredients and mix thoroughly. Makes about 1 cup.[/FONT]

I believe this is the recipe I started with and have modified some to suit my weird taste. (I removed the cumin for one thing.)

I have one I love on pork. I'll post it when I get home.
I love this on butts. Once chopped, I sprinkle a little more in.

From Steven Raichlen:

Puerto Rican Pig Powder
1/3 cup course salt
2 tablespoons white pepper
2 tablespoons black pepper
2 tablespoons parsley
1 1/2 tablespoons cumin
1 tablespoon oregano
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon onion powder

I love this on butts. Once chopped, I sprinkle a little more in.

From Steven Raichlen:

Puerto Rican Pig Powder
1/3 cup course salt
2 tablespoons white pepper
2 tablespoons black pepper
2 tablespoons parsley
1 1/2 tablespoons cumin
1 tablespoon oregano
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon onion powder

That's an interesting rub, what is the taste/flavor of this? I haven't eaten much Puerto Rican food...

Here is a basic savory barbecue rub:
Ingredients
4 parts kosher salt
4 parts garlic powder
2 parts black pepper
1 part cayenne

Works on most meat.

If you google mainley dave, he made his own rubs using Splenda. This was for weight loss.

I am diabetic but my real motive for taking the sugar out is to try and lighten up my meat color, mostly for ribs and chicken. They always turn out so dark and I am not a big fan of turbonato sugar. I am not sure what Splenda would turn out since its a sugar product.
Dave

Here is a rub that I got from (of all things) a car site I go to. There is a community section with all different types of topics, including food. Someone posted this rub as one they found whilst searching for an Outback steak house style rub. They said it's an all-around rub to use on steak, chicken and pork, but cautioned that a little goes a long way. :eek: I found it out the hard way last night when my tongue burned from the salt. I will probably cut the salt back when I make it again.

8 teaspoons salt
4 teaspoons paprika
2 teaspoons ground black pepper
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon coriander
1/2 teaspoon turmeric

My wife's chicken was better than mine, because I used less rub on hers (as usual).

I make my own rubs and for pork I purposely omit sugar. When I cook chickens, however, I add 3/4 cup of brownulated sugar to the rub.

I have heard of others using Splenda with good results.... I have toyed sampling it to see how it does. I have a buddy that loves my pork, but is also a diabetic, so I was talking to him about trying it. He told me to and he would let me know how it was.

Or, just leave it out! ! !

Bill

Back