• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

the perfect brisket

Johnny Ca$h

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
What do you look for when eyeing up that perfect brisket? My RD location has USDA Choice for $2.24 lb. until the 15th, It seems like a fair deal but Every time I go there I go into a Blank stair and unstoppable drool.....:doh: I have had pretty good LUCK on past briskets Even the walley world ones but just wanted to here from the seasoned vets.

I look for a thick, even flat, even marbeling (sp?) and that the entire brisket is floppy......or not stiff from hard fat. Then I hold it to my ear and listen to it......is it speaking to me? at least I should do that, our brisket scores have sucked!!!

I look for a thick, even flat, even marbeling (sp?) and that the entire brisket is floppy......or not stiff from hard fat. Then I hold it to my ear and listen to it......is it speaking to me? at least I should do that, our brisket scores have sucked!!!
Sounds like you are picking it right...wonder what else it could be :boink: :becky:

I look for a nice thick flat in the brisket and is even all the way across. Then i look for marbling in the briskets. After I have a few selections made, I look to see which brisket seems more relaxed/flexible.

I look for a nice thick flat in the brisket and is even all the way across. Then i look for marbling in the briskets. After I have a few selections made, I look to see which brisket seems more relaxed/flexible.

^^^Pretty much this. Low price helps too. :becky:

Full Draw BBQ Then I hold it to my ear and listen to it......is it speaking to me? QUOTE said:
Every time I have talked to the meat people seam to wonder away from me quickly :heh:

keep it flexible threw out and consent threw the flat marbling sur don't hurt thanks fellow Brethren.

Full Draw BBQ Then I hold it to my ear and listen to it......is it speaking to me? QUOTE said:
Every time I have talked to the meat people seam to wonder away from me quickly :heh:

keep it flexible threw out and consent threw the flat marbling sur don't hurt thanks fellow Brethren.

I will have to try that

I wish people would stay away from me at the grocery store.

And some other places too

;)

I look primarily for two things (both have already been mentioned above):

1. I want a nice limber (floppy) brisket. I want it to nearly fold in half IN the cryovac. If a brisket is real limber when it's raw, it'll be more limber when it's cooked (as long as I don't fark it up).

2. I look for a nice thick flat at the end opposite the point. Many briskets will really taper off and get real thin at that end. Those are the ones that typically overcook on that end. I want my slices nice and tall throughout the flat so I look for a nice thick, uniform thickness throughout the flat.

What I have NEVER done, however, is put it to my ear and listen to it.
But....heck.........with our brisket scores this year.....I'll try anything once.
I'm curious though, Full Draw BBQ, what should it say back if it's a good'n?
:wink:

I look primarily for two things (both have already been mentioned above):

1. I want a nice limber (floppy) brisket. I want it to nearly fold in half IN the cryovac. If a brisket is real limber when it's raw, it'll be more limber when it's cooked (as long as I don't fark it up).

2. I look for a nice thick flat at the end opposite the point. Many briskets will really taper off and get real thin at that end. Those are the ones that typically overcook on that end. I want my slices nice and tall throughout the flat so I look for a nice thick, uniform thickness throughout the flat.

What I have NEVER done, however, is put it to my ear and listen to it.
But....heck.........with our brisket scores this year.....I'll try anything once.
I'm curious though, Full Draw BBQ, what should it say back if it's a good'n?
:wink:

It should say "send me to PatAttack, immediately"!!:thumb::becky:

I look to see if it will ever amount to anything in life. If it doesn't, I berate it and call it scum and then buy it and wreck it :crazy:.

Though I do look for even thickness in the flat and marbling for the most part.

Back