BBQ Pitmasters Season 1

Pappy Q

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Watching reruns of season 1, anyone know what happened to the rookie guy (Paul) who always finished last?

I think he stayed last - never made it. I'm watching too and it occurs to me that Mixon is either one hell of a role character actor, or a real a#%hole! probably a little of both.

Not sayin he is not a good cook, just a comment on his cast role on the show.

Somewhere Johnny Trigg said Paul "fell back into his old ways" aka drugs.

I was told Paul is originally from CA, not TX; which seems believable.

Somewhere Johnny Trigg said Paul "fell back into his old ways" aka drugs.

I was told Paul is originally from CA, not TX; which seems believable.

Maybe trigg meant that dang cherry rub!

I think he "went away", if memory serves.
Being under the wing of Johnny, I had high hopes for the guy. But his level of douchebaggery was too much for Mr. Trigg.

....if I remember correctly....

I was wondering this same thing the other day. Hopefully he isn't into drugs. A lot of great cooks have failed on the competition circuit. For all we know is BBQ tasted better than all of theirs but wasn't as perfected for kcbs ways.

Also no doubt the show spun him in a negative light for ratings. Not saying I know he is a good guy or anything but I don't trust TV edited perception of someone

It's like with everything else in life. Show them, then watch them go their own way. Good luck Paul wherever you are.

I think he stayed last - never made it. I'm watching too and it occurs to me that Mixon is either one hell of a role character actor, or a real a#%hole! probably a little of both.

Not sayin he is not a good cook, just a comment on his cast role on the show.
I have never heard anyone who met him personally say he is anything but a warm friendly person in reality. He's playing a role on the show.

I was wondering this same thing the other day. Hopefully he isn't into drugs. A lot of great cooks have failed on the competition circuit. For all we know is BBQ tasted better than all of theirs but wasn't as perfected for kcbs ways.

Also no doubt the show spun him in a negative light for ratings. Not saying I know he is a good guy or anything but I don't trust TV edited perception of someone

There is no doubt that what may work in a restaurant does not work at comps. If I remember correctly the only food of his that was shown looked like he cleaned his grill with it.

There is a learning curve and you have to be humble enough to take a hard look at your food. I think ego got in his way.

I really wish that that style of season continued. The format they do since season one is good.... But nothing close to how good the first season was. I still have it on dvr and watch it. Nevermind what they have shown since. I like the good and bad. That was real reality TV.

I really wish that that style of season continued... ..nothing close to how good the first season was.

I strongly agree. I was very disappointed with the format since season 1. I loved every episode of season 1.

I have never heard anyone who met him personally say he is anything but a warm friendly person in reality. He's playing a role on the show.

I presume and really hope that is the case - and he sure is good at his role. I met his kid at Fernandina this year, he and the rest of the team were really open and friendly like most BBQ folk.

I agree about the format and style of this season. I watched it for a while this morning for the hour I was running on the treadmill (I know... there is something wrong with watching a BBQ show while exercising). I have also watched this whole season a couple of times over on Netflix. It just plays less like reality TV and more like a documentary. I like that. If I hear one more person in the pit (new format) say "that's me," it will be one more time too many. It all sounds so damn scripted now.

I agree about the format and style of this season. I watched it for a while this morning for the hour I was running on the treadmill (I know... there is something wrong with watching a BBQ show while exercising). I have also watched this whole season a couple of times over on Netflix. It just plays less like reality TV and more like a documentary. I like that. If I hear one more person in the pit (new format) say "that's me," it will be one more time too many. It all sounds so damn scripted now.

Ha! Yeah the "that's me" is annoying. Obviously they make them say that as a reminder to the people watching. The new format is decent, but I miss season one. So I record the episodes when they come back on :grin:.

Sometimes you get what you ask for, if you ask enough.
Destination America is currently filming 4 teams at competitions in a format similar to season 1 of BBQ Pitmasters. The teams are Jack's Old South, Ponderosa BBQ, Cookin' with Stumps, and Characters BBQ. We were told at the contest in Rocky Mt., NC on OCt. 11-12 about the taping of the show to be called "BBQ Kings" to air next spring/summer.

Back