How much would you pay/

sroderic

Reaction score
For a used Oklahoma Joe? This is a new model, purchased this year and supposedly only used 3-4 times. Looks in very good shape with all parts intact. Thinking of making an offer, but not sure what is reasonable. I have a vision kamado, so don't really "need" the extra smoker, but you guys have done put the addiction on me! Thinking an entry-level stick burner may be a nice compliment to the kamado, and the price may be right on this Oklahoma Joe. Thoughts?

I think would make a great entry level offset. If you really get hooked and burning sticks is what you want to do you can always move up. I started on a chargriller and got hooked before I bought my Horizon.

As far as an offer, if it's the one I'm thinking of, I think they run $400-$500 new ? I'd probably offer $250. Depends on if he want to recoup much of his investment or just wants to get rid of the thing.

Do you have a pic? There is a new breed shipping now that is even less welded and more bolted, but still some out there that are mostly welded and some bolt assembly. The ones that are mostly bolted look more leaky.

A pic is below. Not sure about the "more bolted" vs "more welded". This is the current model being sold at a local Lowes; appears decent to me, but I'm very new to this. Retail is $429. He started by asking 350, then quickly 300, few days after that 275. Thinking if I can get it for 225, that's doing pretty good. Appreciate insight of others, though, if they think I'm better off putting that money towards something else.
00T0T_jaG4JBXa6rW_600x450.jpg

Are you able to "kick the tires"? How does it feel...good and solid or squeaky and flimsy? What are you planning to cook? Is it big enough for you to grow into or is it the size you can utilize right now? How soon will you grow out of it?

I would offer the $225 and see what he says. The model pictured is one that I preferred. I looked at these also. This one has the removable ash tray. They don't sell those at Lowes anymore. At least not the ones near me. Char broil doesn't sell them anymore either. The ones they are selling now at Lowes etc, don't have the removable ash pan, but just a door on the side. I think the ash pan is way more convienent , especially during long cooks. With that being said I am considering the Brinkmann Trailmaster Limited Edition. If I were you, I had the extra money, I would for the right price.

That one is "more welded" than the newest ones. However this one with the ash tray is quite leaky and can be tough to control a fire, just so you know.

It also looks like the firebox might have been painted as that does not look like the original paint sheen, so it probably started to rust a bit which is normal. I could be wrong because it's been a LONG time since my OKJ looked shiny. :becky:

If it seems pretty sound $250 is a fair deal since they claim it hasn't been used much (although some people on CL say anything). But try to shoot for less.

I wouldn't go more than a Franklin, looks like the whole thing has been repainted & to make it usable it will need some work on the fire box, the stack & a tuning plate.

Back