U S A Foods in Australia

Wow Titch, those prices are crazy high!! I only looked at snacks, but you can't go wrong with Cool Ranch, or Nacho Cheese Doritos or regular crunchy Cheeto's.

Matt

I'm with you Matt, really anything which ends in 'tos is a pretty good bet. Stubb's and Sweet Baby Ray's are pretty good in the BBQ sauce dept. and I put old bay seasoning on absolutely everything.

If you can't get Reese's peanut butter cups down there than IMHO those are a must have.

Crazy prices.

Sioux City Sarsaparilla is a nice treat. Cant believe a 12 pack of soda is 15 bucks. We probably buy them for 3-4 bucks a 12pack.

Franks Red Hot is good. I really like the Valentina Salsa Picante. It's a nice heat.

Tony Chachere's Original Creole Seasoning is good stuff.

The Weber Kansas City Style seasoning is pretty decent. Good on pork butts and chicken. Their Montreal Steak seasoning is ok too on beef.

Pick up a can of chipotle peppers in Adobo sauce. Maybe some dried Ancho, Arbol, Chipotle powder.

Maybe some condiments, sauces and spices because they stretch, but I would never pay those prices for junk food.

I found a bunch of things worth trying at some time:thumb: and also saw a lot of things that only a homesick ex-pat 'merican would want.:tsk:

Reese's peanut butter cups

Louisianna hot sauce
Tabasco chipotle sauce
Sriracha hot chili sauce
Cholula hot sauce
Tapatio Salsa picante

Wick Fowler's chili mix

Talk of Texas hot okra pickles

Bruce's sweet potato pancake mix
Some brand of pure maple syrup

Tony Chachere's original creole seasoning
Slap Ya Mama cajun seasoning
Gebhardt chili powder
Old Bay
Lawry's seasoning salt

Pickapeppa sauce

Embasa chipotle peppers in adobo sauce

Stubb's BBQ sauce
Sweet Baby Rays

Sadly it looks like all the Bush's bbq/grillin' beans are out of stock.

If you have Kraft Velveeta cheese available down under or maybe more likely a cheese with similar properties. Mild, Easily meltable, remains creamy after melting
Rotel tomatos with green chilis
Fritos corn chips

Since they are in this store there may not be a proper Aussie counterpart.
Jif Peanut butter either variety
Welch's concord grape jelly or Smuckers - any jelly/jam you like is fine, these two would be my pick from the ones available
A peanut butter and jelly sandwich is likely as all American as a vegemite sandwich is Australian.

I found it odd that Grandma's molasses was listed. I would have expected molasses to be more commonly available than a quick Google would make it appear to be available. Grandma's is very good on 'merican style biscuits w/ butter or margarine. Nice on dinner rolls too. Sadly golden syrup is difficult to find over here.

I kind of rushed through the site, but found a few items I like.

Oreo and Nutter Butter cookies are American icons. Same with Goldfish. Jolly Rancher candy and Jelly Belly jelly beans are awesome candies.

Rotel Tomatoes and Chiles are great to mix into beans or blend with cheese for a queso dip.

Old Bay Seasoning is a staple for boiling seafood.

Louisiana Hot Sauce, Tabasco Sauce, and Frank's Hot Sauce are staples, too.

Zatarain's Red Beans and Rice is pretty good. And, deguerre will say otherwise, but Jiffy Corn Muffins are a childhood favorite of mine.

CD

Even at those prices, you are a lucky man, at least you have access.
Smokin Aussie Bill told me about it but to ship here from Melbourne is prohibitive!
Let us know a review on whatever you get Titch.

Are you looking for any type of food in particular (junk food, beverages, candy, chocolate, seasoning/condiments, etc.)?

edit: Do you want stuff that tastes good or American icons (stuff thats part of pop culture,movies,etc.)?

For spices, I'd say that Lawry's Seasoned salt and McCormick's Montreal Steak are pretty much essentials in the rub I like.
Hotsauces has to be Cholula Lime and Franks Original because I assume that every country has regular old Tabasco sauce...

I like la Costner chipotle in adobe and canned tomatillos but can buy them in supermarkets cheaper now.
Old bay is pretty good.
Sweet Baby Rays is tasty but titch, for Aussies these sauces are really sweet, be warned!
Cholula= great Mexican flavour no heat at all
Muffuletta spread- forget it.
There was a product, a chili starter in a tall bottle/ jar that Bill and I both tried, farkin useless, can't remember the brand.
Bland and flavourless, give it a wide berth.
Hope this is useful to you bro.

Back