screw the wind and cold... first smoke of the year

RoyJeeBiv

Reaction score
barely above freezing in Iowa, feels colder, and gusty winds aren't gonna stop me... been itching to smoke some ribs all winter and i got a small batch of BB's for the wife, me and a couple of good friends who don't have the kids for the weekend. :biggrin1: gonna supplement with some wings, homemade BBQ sauce on both, kick back with some Leine's and/or Woodford and enjoy the afternoon.

still using a POS CharBroil grill as a "smoker", but i'm going to invest in a WSM (hopefully this month so it's ready for my draft party on 4/25!!).

Fareway down the street had BB's on sale, unfortunately not whole racks but oh well. pulled the membrane, thin coating of ACV, rubbed with a simple rub (salt, pepper, garlic, celery)...
IMG_20130316_113835.jpg

loaded the POS (apple wood and some soaked pecan shells)...
IMG_20130316_113925.jpg

BB's are on and smokin' (smoke doesn't look blue, but it is... wind gusting pretty good)...
IMG_20130316_120028.jpg

right now it's running a little hotter than i'd like, but i'd rather have that than the other way around on a cold day.

everyone is one their way so i might not be able to get as much pron as i'd like, but will try to post more if i can as it comes along!!

rjb

As I sit here on the front porch clutching my tablet in my shorts and a T shirt sipping a sweet tea with a plash of Bourbon reading this with the mercury bumping 82 I got a chill up my spine.:razz: Hang in there amigo summer is coming. I like your use of pecan hulls I save them too for grilling chicken & chops.

Almost 80F yesterday. Today can barely get above freezing. Pfft! Damn the wind & cold!! Full speed ahead!! The smoke must go on!! :thumb: Cheers!!!

Barely above freezing whats that, lol. Enjoying the 87F we are having here today in South Texas. In all honesty i never turned off the central a/c this year never got cold enough down here. Good luck on your cook, brrrrrr....

I won't tell you what the weather is like here today. I admire your dedication and courage

Hmmmmmmm, Going out to the lake, gonna chop me a hole, catch some gills and crappy, and fry em up right on the ICE, good luck with your cook,

Good luck with your smoke! Don't let those in lesser climates rankle you. :wink:

BTW, My first cook of the year was grilling on Jan 1 (high of 22°F) and my first smoke was on the 15th (29°F Woo!) but I'm smoking on a WSM which probably helps.

Pix if you have time!

Temperature is all relative. "Just above freezing" is a heat wave for me. I grill/smoke more in the winter than the summer (mostly out of boredom). Put on the appropriate clothes and it no problem grilling in below zero temps. Grill on brother!

Quick shifts and close to the cooker. Don't forget it tastes better the more you want it!

finally getting around to posting the finished product, was having a helluva time managing the temp over a long period so i finished them in the oven. tasted great, no leftovers, can't complain!!

one plate...
IMG_20130316_152942.jpg

smoke ring...
IMG_20130316_153338.jpg

and wings, for good measure...
IMG_20130316_165402.jpg

will post more as i venture into the WSM realm. thanks for the warm (pun intended) wishes, everyone!!

rjb

Wind and cold weather be damned. Was in the 30s near Detroit and still managed to break out the SJS for burgers for lunch and steaks for diner.

"Winter" just means there's no need to buy ice. :cool:

Cook on, fellow frosty farkers! :cheer2:

Course it does not get very cold here but even when it gets in the 20's or even teens my cooking area is small but covered, plus I have a propane powered fire pit. In other words as long as it isn't flooding......I'm COOKING!!!!

I did a brisket on my OK Joe for a guy at work on Sat.

It was around 25, just finished snowing when I lit the smoker in the morning

yesterday, it was sunny but around 30 again and I did a chicken

just cuz its winter no reason to stop smoking!!!

Back