Fatties Round Two

JohnHB

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Fatties Round Two
After my initial attempt at smoking fatties (BBQ Brethren link http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=154584 ) and receiving critical comment from she who must be obeyed I am practicing again. The comment made was that whilst my fatties were tasty they were heavy (dense). The suggestion was meatloaf recipes provided a softer product and why not adapt.
I set out to cook two different meat mixes – a beef/veal/pork mix and a turkey.
The ingredients for the beef/veal/pork were:
Ingredients
1 tablespoon vegetable or olive oil
1 cup finely chopped onion
2 tablespoons minced garlic
The onions and garlic were fried in oil until soft
500g (17.5 ounces) ground beef
500g (17.5 ounces) ground veal
500g (17.5 ounces) ground pork
1/2 cup tomato ketchup
1 tablespoon Yellow mustard
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 cup fresh plain breadcrumbs
2 eggs
1-1/2 teaspoons salt
3/4 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
From this mix I made two fatties two thirds of the mix and with a streaky (American) bacon weave. I added two tablespoons of maple syrup to the one third of mix left for a simple naked fatty.
The ingredients for the turkey fatty were:
Ingredients
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup onions, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
The onions and garlic were fried in butter until soft
500g (17.5 ounces) ground turkey
1/3 cup breadcrumbs
1 egg
1/4 cup tomato ketchup
1 tablespoon maple syrup
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 cup finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
F1_zps968b7353.jpg

(in the Bradley smoker)
I smoked with hickory. My target temperatures were cooking 200F to 240F.and pulling 160F to 170F. The Bradley temperatures didn’t match my Maverick ET732 temperatures so I upped the cooking temperatures until I eventual achieved 220F. The cooking times varies from 2.5 hours to 3.25 hours.
The result was that the four fatties were soft (just holding together) and moist. We sat down to a dinner with the fatties, couscous and green beans. The pleasant flavours were enjoyed by all. The bacon wrapped fatty with a touch of my home made horseradish (horseradish root, salt, wine vinegar – hot!!) was delightful.
F2_zpsf5ba2988.jpg

(on the bench ready for sampling)
I note that the similarity of recipes meant that the products were similar. The turkey wasn’t really identifiable as turkey. She who must be obeyed stated they were two light (soft) and I need to reduce the breadcrumbs. I believe that would improve the texture. I also think tomato ketchup should be reduced significantly so that the meat flavours can be tasted (identified).
F3_zpsb7c892b6.jpg

(two bacon wrapped beef/veal/port)
Were they fatties? Or a meatloaf log! Whatever they need to be called one should always recognise that the destination is not the only target one can also enjoy the journey! I am learning about my Bradley Smoker and expanding my cooking skills.
F4_zps50e96642.jpg

(Naked fatties 1. beef/veal/pork 2. Turkey)
F5_zps3ac46115.jpg

(Four cut fatties)
F6_zps2eaf24ba.jpg

(Bacon wrapped beef/veal/pork)
F7_zpse95b6135.jpg

(beef/veal/pork with maple syrup)
F8_zps1540b38e.jpg

(Turkey fatty)
John

They look pretty good. :hungry:

Isn't it nice that SWMBO is so willing to help? :thumb:

John that is seriously light, almost to a stuffing level!
That must have a use sometime, i'd remember that.
It all looks nice to me, is it the photo or could the bacon have done with a tad more heat exposure?

Oooh, is that a Jacques Grange wine?
You must invite me over when next I'm on the dark side of the country!:becky:

John that is seriously light, almost to a stuffing level!
That must have a use sometime, i'd remember that.
It all looks nice to me, is it the photo or could the bacon have done with a tad more heat exposure?

Oooh, is that a Jacques Grange wine?
You must invite me over when next I'm on the dark side of the country!:becky:

My next fatty/meatloaf will not be as light. I did find it an interesting experiment.
I could have crisped up the bacon under a broiler and that would have improved the dish. But it was cooked and the meat was cooked.
The wine was a Cote du Rhone 1998.
John

My next fatty/meatloaf will not be as light. I did find it an interesting experiment.
I could have crisped up the bacon under a broiler and that would have improved the dish. But it was cooked and the meat was cooked.
The wine was a Cote du Rhone 1998.
John
I did not mean to imply it wasn't cooked, no sir!
Pretty sure Jacques Grange did those wines, haven't had one but they say they are lovely.
What did you think?

I did not mean to imply it wasn't cooked, no sir!
Pretty sure Jacques Grange did those wines, haven't had one but they say they are lovely.
What did you think?

Jacques joined Delas Freres on 2 June 1997. He moved fast so I assume he had an impact on the 1998 drunk last night. We enjoyed it. It is approaching its best I think.
John
Ps the second wine last night was a 1995 bottle from Ch Bellafont-Befcier. A pleasant Saint Julien.

They look great to me John! I do smoked meat "loafs" all the time myself. Call em whatever, they're farkin delicious!

Back