My UDS Build Thread

u-joint

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
It's official, you guys have corrupted me. I am building a UDS :whoo:

I am currently on about page 50 of "the UDS" thread, lol. A lot of reading ahead of me. However, I've made my first (small) step of building a UDS. Today, I purchased a 55 gallon drum.

It's really nice and clean, and doesn't have a liner in it. The guy who sold it to me said it previously contained something "like glue", but was separated from the bare metal by a plastic bag/insert. Still going to burn it out.

Nothing much else to show, or say. I'll update this thread throughout my build process.

Attachments

• 2012-12-17 18.19.22.jpg
    2012-12-17 18.19.22.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 249
u-joint, good luck with your build. Since you are only on page 50 on the MOTHER of the UDS thread, do yourself a big favor. Take lots of notes as you read on, or at least certain highlight points for what ever,page #, post# etc. for future reference.

When i started,there were only 320 or so pages and i ended up re-reading it all over again. A lot of guys don't like to read that many pages,they just like to fire away with asking questions because they want the answers right now.

If you want to save yourself a lot of reading just go here.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43943

It is the definitive KISS instructional for the UDS. Build your first one like this, learn to cook on it and then experiment at will on future builds. You won't be disappointed if you follow it.

Don't worry if you don't have a welder or welding experience, I simply threaded my pipe nipples in the holes and locked them down with electrical conduit nuts. Another thought is to stay away from galvanized hardware. If that is all you can find you can either burn the coating off with a weed burner or soak in toilet bowl cleaner. That will take the galvanized coating off also.

Looking forward to your pics!!

I second the taking notes suggestion. I read through about 300 pages or so. It started out innocent enough, but then the ideas start piling up and when you go to actually start building you can't keep any of it straight. I spent as much time going back through and digging for information as I did reading. Good luck on your build...just finished mine a few weeks ago, only two cooks in but I love it!

Thanks all for the tips and encouragement.

I made a trip to Lowe's this morning and picked up most of what I have remaining for my UDS build. Since today marks my first day off work for the holidays, I am going to be starting the build today. Expect updates and photos as I'm working through it.

I haven't seen anyone mention this, so I figured I'd throw it out there. Those seals on the 55-gallon drum lids are a pain to scrape off. I just took some MEK and within minutes the seal literally came off in one piece, leaving nothing but bare metal behind.

That drum cap is really nice. Mine didn't come with a cap so I had to use a Weber lid which doesn't fit well.
The fire box It’s probably the single most important design element of the unit. The basket should be big enough to hold 10 lbs. of charcoal and some wood chunks, plenty of fuel for very long cooks. When I burned it with 10 pounds of hardwood charcoal it lasted 15 hours.
it cost me $100

Attachments

• FIREBOX.jpg
    FIREBOX.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 112
Best of luck! My basket is really simple but works awesome and was really cheap to build. No welding. I use a "top down" Minion Method for burning coal in mine: I put about 15 hot coals into maybe 4 little clusters spaced evenly on top of my unlit coals with wood chunks in it. The fire burns down and around my basket for hours. I have no problem with long cooks and I always have left over coals. My basket:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=112518

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356208555.127582.jpg

Working on my basket. This is my first attempt at welding, a friend let me borrow his MIG welder.

Progress update:

Yesterday I was able to burn out my drum, and almost get done with my charcoal basket. I ran into a small snag on the basket, where I had purchased 24x12" expanded steel. This, of course, resulted in a basket that was about 12" tall, lol. Also, I didn't quite have enough to go all the way around. So, some trimming is in order :biggrin1:

Today is about the last nice day we're going to have for a while, so getting the drum painted was today's priority. Using Norcoredneck's design as a starting point, I was able to get all the holes drilled, the inside & outside wired brushed, and even welded the air intakes.

Next I primed it, and painted it. It's currently setting in the backyard drying.

Remaining is some work on my basket, and final assembly.

So far, things are going really well, and I am surprised how quickly it's coming together. My wife is already talking about smoking a boston butt in it :whoo:

Attachments

• 2012-12-23 13.30.42.jpg
    2012-12-23 13.30.42.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 42
  • 2012-12-23 13.09.04.jpg
    2012-12-23 13.09.04.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 42
Back