Dry Beans vs Canned Beans

Jeff_in_KC

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Was thinking of cooking dry beans for my baked BBQ beans instead of canned beans. For canned, I usually use three #10 cans per full pan. Anyone know about how many pounds of dry beans that translates to? I saw RD has a 20 pound bag of dry navy beans for $17.95. Cans of beans I usually use are $5.72 (two cans) and $3.27 (one can). Seems like this would be MUCH cheaper and maybe much better???

Cheaper and waaayyyy better..imho. Cook with some PP, rib bits or ham and man ya got something... our scratch beans are a fantastic seller.
Never could understand folks using canned beans and hopping them up with all kinds of spices. Ya take all day to make great bbq why lwr the bar with a tin of beans?? (my opinion of course) nttawwt.. :wink:

1 cup of dry navy beans makes approx 3 cups when cooked.

I recall my dad using a conversion of 1:3 for dry beans:cooked beans. A #10 can of beans is probably what...6lbs or so? That being said, 2lb. of dry beans ~= 1 #10 can so that one bag would equate to approximately 10 cans. Definitely a lot cheaper, but how much is your time worth to soak and cook them?

But, the beans will soak by themselves, and for the most part cook by themselves with minimum watching allowing you to do other things...
The end result will be so much better.

But, the beans will soak by themselves, and for the most part cook by themselves with minimum watching allowing you to do other things...
The end result will be so much better.

LOL good point, and if you wanted to fast track them without soaking, just boil them for 45mins beforehand..

Back