Quick question about IBCA judging

Jeff7871

Found some matches.
Reaction score
I know that basically with the IBCA and the Lone Star barbecue Association basically anyone can be a judge. What I wonder is from area to area is the palate of these judges that different? I get that if your BBQ is the best it will win, but the inconstancy from contest to contest as far as judging goes confuses my team. How we can go from top five one week in ribs and chicken to bottom of the barrel the next week is troubling. I wonder if other experience the same thing when it comes to competition in these organizations. Don't get me wrong we enjoy ourselves every time we go out win or lose but we are kind of flabbergasted on the inconsistency. Any advice is greatly appreciated.:doh:

I find that there are regional tastes. But, if you cook consistantly after you break top 10, you stay fairly consistant. Alot depends on how the head judge sets up tables of judges. A bad table can kill some good teams.

I agree with Ty. It seems to me as you go south tastes change the most. I have not been able to figure it out.

Same as going east. BBQ gets sweeter, so judges compare to what they are familiar with.

BTW Jeff - You cooking Irving this weekend?

We've cooked 3 contests this year. Results in order:

Chicken, 3rd, didn't make final table, 2nd
Ribs, 1st, final table, 3rd
Brisket, 9th, didn't make final table, 1st

The contests were LSBS Austin, LSBS Italy and IBCA Kaufman.
We were lucky enough to hit 3rd pork butt in Italy so we didn't go home empty handed. Ya just gotta enjoy them when they hit, and get ready for the next one when they don't.
Just keep doin' what ya do. It'll even out. BTW, the best chicken of the three was Italy.

@ Thillin no we all have to work this weekend unfortunately. We are trying to get the team together for the end of April in Mesquite.

A lot of cooks will also consider the probable judging pool. Meaning make it a little saltier at the VFW, etc... Chain smoking, and beer can impact the taste buds;)

Back