When gas hits $5.00 a gallon :(

ThomEmery

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
How will this effect your 2011 season?
Will you scale down and do the same number of contests?
Or
Just drop a contest or two to make up the difference?

I have thought about it....

I just paid $3.37 a gallon here in PA... While I am going to try and not let it cancel a contest or two, I may try and scale back on other things... Like the kids allowance, wifes cosmetics, kids car repairs, etc.

Sorry, a bit of a hijack :redface:

Over here diesel is £1.33 a LITRE...that's just shy of a quarter of a gallon...so that's £5.50ish a gallon...which is about $9 a gallon :crazy: :mad2: :shocked:

We might cut back a little. Lucky that here in Michigan we have a number of great events so staying local won't bother us too much.

man it's gonna be tough on my wallet but i will still hit my contests

We'll hit as many as we can. May need to not take the big trailer and save a little gas that way.

The minivan gets nearly 27mpg on some of our trip legs.
shiner.gif

The people who complain about gas prices are the same people who blow extra money on smokes, beer and lottery tickets. Not that I have a problem with any of those three things. My point is if you don't want to give up a contest or two you can always save money that you waste on other things you really don't need anyway. If you were to eat off the value menu at at a fast food chain all week for $2 a day for lunch and maybe give up that Starbucks coffee in the morning or 44oz coke after work you would easily have enough money to cover the extra gas. With all that being said we have decided to not take the big 5th wheel to as many contest this year!:p

We are actually cooking MORE, but we secured a season long meat sponsor and cash sponsors for several contests close to home. At the distant contests we are going to focus on the KCBS 4 and not try and buy a dessert or side dish win. I've also nearly quit drinking, so the liquor expense is quite a bit less.

Sorry, a bit of a hijack :redface:

Over here diesel is £1.33 a LITRE...that's just shy of a quarter of a gallon...so that's £5.50ish a gallon...which is about $9 a gallon :crazy: :mad2: :shocked:

Absolutely true, but the vehicles over there get significantly higher gas mileage than over here. We have lots of regulations that make our cars safe and non-polluting, but in addition have a tremendous cost on energy. I have a European-made car that gets approximately 60mpg in Europe, but once outfitted with required anti-pollution devices only gets about 45mpg here -- the really sad part is because it now burns more fuel it actually pollutes more. I have a good friend in Spain whose minivan gets over 40mpg. That same minivan model in the USA outfitted with required devices gets only 20mpg. Yes, the cost of gas per gallon is significantly higher in Europe, but the cost per mile is not. -- sorry to continue the hijack, but these regulations are crazy and the air is not THAT much more polluted in Europe than in the USA. :redface:

Hmmm...good question...it will not effect how many comps we do...our travels are within a 3-4 hour drive for the most part. We were hoping to do a few more KCBS comps in Oregon, Montana, and Idaho...the cost may force us to stay in our back yard though...:tsk:

I'm always wary of manufacturers MPG figures...the old rule used to be that figure minus 5, now it's more like that figure minus 10!

And, the vehicles on sale in the UK meet stringent safety and anti polluting (read weighty) measures

My diesel Smart FourTwo does about 200 miles on a tank that costs me £40 to fill up....the Mrs' diesel B Class does significantly better....Why? I do short, high speed journeys to and from work in the Smart whilst Mrs LM works about 20 miles away and is pretty much on a dual carraigeway all the way there and back at a constant speed.

However, when I had my petrol PT Cruiser convertible I was seriously considering buying shares in BP, Shell, Texaco etc.....12mpg!!!!

But, my real point is this - the cost of fuel in the UK has risen year on year, month on month, day on day (I am serious!) and we still get shafted by the Government on fuel costs....import duties, various taxes, VAT at point of sale etc because the previous Governments did not invest in home supplied / processed oil / petrol...these all add up to me swearing at the fuel pump - thank the Lord for "pay at pump" ability!!!

I do not mean to sound anti Government, it just riles me!!!!!

Your mileage will vary greatly with regard to advertised MPG, but I'm going by personal experience. I'm extremely unaggressive on the road and typically get better MPG than advertised. I do a lot of driving in Europe and I'm nearly always shocked by how much farther I can go on a gallon of gas. When I drove my friend's minivan I was completely blown away. I got over 40 MPG (which is what he says he typically gets) and it is NOT a small minivan. Such mileage is unheard of here. I fully agree with your rant, mine is the same, but just another aspect of the same thing.

I suspect like many, it all depends on income. If I get lucky and win some the money goes back into the contest kitty, which means I can cook more contests. If I'm not lucky, it all depends on payroll then. Got to love my Sprinter van (2006 5 cylinder diesel), mpg is 21 versus 15 on the pickup truck. Every little bit helps!

Enough contest here I can stay within 3 hours. Probably limits any out of state we do unless it's an invite and contest.

Back