Brisket and sausage

W

Whoopbros

I was hoping for some advice on the amounts of meat I needed. I am catering a 300 person wedding reception. Brisket and sausage is on the menu. I usually like to buy 10-12 pound briskets. I was estimating somewhere in the neighborhood of 25 briskets and about 75 lbs of sausage. Am I even in the ballpark with these figures. Thanks in advance.

My guestimate is that is enough brisket to feed around 400 people and enough sausage for 225 people. I would cut it back to around 17 briskets and maybe 90 lbs of sausage. That would give every guest a 1/3 of a lbs option of each. But wait to see what others say, that is my quick guestimate.

what is the raw product price for each item? How much sauce (some do) per lb of brisket? What type of Sausage and fat percentage? How many sides and are you providing refreshment?

11 lb average is 275 lbs raw. That's about 125 lbs of flat cooked or 6.6 oz per person. Probably a good number depending on sides. What are you doing with the points? I assume that you are not serving chopped brisket so it's really just leftover for a wedding. I'd buy 7-8 lb flats and get 4+ lb per finished flat and you'd need 35 to be safe.

You need more sausage. If you are doing links assume 1 link per person. Now good old Johnsonvilles are about 3 oz each and that works with the extra brisket. Get 30 extra to be safe. I wouldn't serve bulk.

Ford,
Why do you use flats for this? The flats in MS are more than double the price of packers and your yield is about 60 % on flats and 50 % on packers. Could you not save the points for future use or for coworkers' "burnt ends"? i have never done that large of a job so I am asking instead of questioning. Thanks in advance

Ford,
Why do you use flats for this? The flats in MS are more than double the price of packers and your yield is about 60 % on flats and 50 % on packers. Could you not save the points for future use or for coworkers' "burnt ends"? i have never done that large of a job so I am asking instead of questioning. Thanks in advance
Remember that 50% on packers is for the entire thing not nice flat slices for a wedding. Flat would end up the same either way so it's a 12 lb packer with 6-7 lb of flat and you'd get 60% of that or around 4 lbs. But the math says buy flats if the price was that much different.

The point can be frozen. Up in MI it's harder to get good packers and price difference is not as great. Plus I only have so much storage so unless I was doing chopped brisket sammys somewhere that I could use the point fairly quickly I' probably end up giving it to neighbors. And with 35 briskets thats a lot of meat to give away. Fine for a couple of briskets but once you start cooking volume these numbers add up quickly.

I have done several cooks for 300. I cooked 15 whole packers each time and had plenty left over on both occasions. I would probably go with 16 to be safe. If you are serving sasuage people will probably not get as many slices as they would normally so I think you would be safe with that. My favorite part of the brisket is the point and I know a lot of people really like that part of the brisket also.

I usually can feed 5 or 6 people on a link of sasuage if you cut it up into smaller pieces.

Back