Pastrami time

Blackened

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Finally decided to take my first shot at a pastrami..

I cheated on the curing part by picking up a 4 lb corned beef brisket. While it turned out great, next time I'll definitely start from scratch with TQ.

Started off by soaking it in ice water for 5 hours, changing the water several times, to remove some of the sodium.

Rubbed on a little evoo and a rub that consisted of:

1/2 cup whole black peppercorns
2 TBS coriander seeds
1 tsp each dry mustard, onion powder, and garlic powder
3 tsp of chipotle powder that I made earlier in the year.

pastrami0027887651.jpg

and then into the fridge overnight to rest..

pastrami0058279294.jpg

Smoked it in the drum with cherry wood for 6 hours, and rested for a couple hours..

pastrami0069169490.jpg

Here it is sliced up as thin as I could get it ..

pastrami0016463538.jpg

pastrami0046500393.jpg

Turned out great! Probably better than any store bought I've ever had..

Thanks for looking!

Nice lookin pastrami, Blackened!! Tell me how your large vent does on your UDS in your avatar. I'm building another one now and was gonna try a single 2" vent ending directly under center of my charcoal basket. Was wondering if this worked as good or better than three 3/4 pipe nipple vents?

That looks great. Might be time for me to get another pastrami going.

That looks great- added to the "to do list".

Nice lookin pastrami, Blackened!! Tell me how your large vent does on your UDS in your avatar. I'm building another one now and was gonna try a single 2" vent ending directly under center of my charcoal basket. Was wondering if this worked as good or better than three 3/4 pipe nipple vents?

It works great.. I only need to keep it opened 1/4-3/8" to lock in the temp..

mailgooglecom8582075.jpg

Looks good... Almost time for me to do another fresh one, but first I have to use up the couple of pounds I have in the freezer from the last one.

Back