Smoke on the Water - Talledaga OCT 30 & 31

Redheart

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Alright now, I really want to do this event! But there is no way I can compete in the Professional Division as a one man team. So I am looking for at least one teammate. I need to register by October 9. Here is what you get if you team up with me under the "Life of Brine", banner.

1) A chance to laugh at my ECB.
2) A chance to share in $50,000 in prize money. They pay out for top 20 positions in each category.
3) A ticket to the AMP 500 on Sunday. They provide 2 for the event.
4) A chance to stay up most of the night on Friday night chewing the fat, shooting the breeze and drinking beer.

I am hoping that someone in the Cobb, Cherokee, Bartow County areas of Georgia is interested so we can team up for this and possibly future events. I would like to do a competition style run through of all four meats sometime before the event, maybe at Red Top Mountain, but I understand that may not be feasible. If you are out of the immediate Northwest Atlanta area we can always hook up at 'dega', on Thursday before 5pm (they close the gates) or Friday morning.

You need not be an experienced pit master or member to fill the need. I'm not. You need to be an enthusiastic 'Que-r' with a desire to pitch in through out the event, help prep turn in boxes and if desired take lead on brisket or pork. You need to be able to put your best effort forward and realize that it is one big chance to learn and have fun.

How'd it go on your first comp last weekend?

Marc, You did well, especially considering you're a 1 man team, 30 minute turn-in
window, and 1/4 mile away with no runner. Well done. That, and you came away
with lessons learned. All in all, I'd say it was successful. Yes, even with a big cooker
(Lang 60), it cooks different and heat is managed different with a full load of meat
vs. just a few of this or that... Learned that one myself!

I over-compensated for a new guy on the team (he was assigned box prep). We
pulled the meat too early, had to go with cold meat (WAY WAY WAY too early). I'm
more accustomed to the 1 hour turn in windows. I'll just have to suck-it-up on the
30 minute windows I guess... More burned fingers for me next comp (pulling very
hot pork). We had good presentation, but everything cold. Our briskets weren't
meteorites; they were overcooked and falling apart. I made a huge mistake buying
my ribs on sale; never ever ever will I do that again. Two of them were bad; had
a skunky taste, and they were also overcooked and falling apart... Sauce and duct
tape helped on presentation. The duct tape probably helped overcome the funky
taste... :) Chickens went out pretty good, but we were hammered. Guess they
didn't like *hot* spicy chicken. Oh well... Pork, beautiful, but pulled way too soon,
cold for presentation....

Funny...

I immediately thought of Lake Dogs when I read the thread starter and who is the first to post a response?
Good luck and have fun in Talladega Redheart!

Lake Dog,
Does this mean you are ready toss your hat in the ring, or ring in the hat with me?

Marc, I sure appreciate the invite/offer! We were seriously considering it, but just
dont have the time or money at this time. We were planning on going.... We're
already planning for next year. FYI: The guys at Waynesboro (Boss Hog) cookoff
have joined with 2 other cookoffs to make a regional championship for an additional
$10k bonus. They've joined up with one in North Augusta and another in either Laurens or Greenwood SC. We'll probably do those next year, plus this Lake Oconee
one.

Come on guys! No one interested in competing in 'Dega? I only have about 24 hours to get the money in.

Back