My take on the Pork Rule

Freddy, I agree with you and with Scottie (oh, he must really be rolling right now), but to date I haven't seen a judge count off because what presented didnt fall into his/her definition of BBQ (but this certainly opens the door wide for a very BROAD definition).

I was, however, more concerned that by changing this rule they've opened it up so wide that truly something that isn't by anyones definition remotely associated with BBQ comes across the table and must be judged as BBQ; heaven forbid it scores well, because it was a) appetizing to look at, and b) very tender and moist, and c) tasted great.

For example, a while back I used to charge judges for sanctioned chili cookoffs, and in the charge I had to help them define what is and isn't chili, and in it I gave multiple references to the difference between chili and say spaghetti sauce (as an example); just because you call spaghetti sauce chili doesn't make it chili. Same for BBQ.

Freddy, I agree with you and with Scottie (oh, he must really be rolling right now), but to date I haven't seen a judge admit to counting off because what presented didnt fall into his/her definition of BBQ (but this certainly opens the door wide for a very BROAD definition).

Fixed your post

I was, however, more concerned that by changing this rule they've opened it up so wide that truly something that isn't by anyones definition remotely associated with BBQ comes across the table and must be judged as BBQ; heaven forbid it scores well, because it was a) appetizing to look at, and b) very tender and moist, and c) tasted great.
I fear this as well.

But as a judge you have to judge what they presented to be bbq, not what your pre concieved notions of bbq are, if that is presented and falls within the rules and you score it down because it's not what you think bbq is then you are being a poor judge.

As I've said before, and will again, That is why I don't Judge!!!! :razz:

I've always submitted what my idea of what BBQ should be, and haven't done too shabby with that approach.

As I've said before, and will again, That is why I don't Judge!!!! :razz:

I've always submitted what my idea of what BBQ should be, and haven't done too shabby with that approach.

I completely agree with you. I do love the history. I also know that if something can be done different and better. Then you better do it. I am the first to say I am a sell out. I'll send you my results on butt tear down!! :shock:

My point being, is that just because the parting rule might go away in the KCBS, it doesn't necessarily mean that grilled or ground or whatever pork is going to start winning any contests.

Exactly.

Chicken salad was ruled legal a while back too.

How many times has anyone seen chicken salad on a judging table since then?

-GF

Everyone know to make good chicken salad, you need to have pieces or chunks of veggies in there that would DQ it! :)

While chicken salad may have been declared legal, it wasn't as if anyone was tearing up the tables with shredded chicken.

Whereas judges have been rewarding sliced pork, disproportionately in some areas. Given that prior success, when a cook is given more latitude in that direction they're likely to take it.

Yes, as a judge, I score on what is presented; I have no preconceived thoughts or ideas what is good during a competition. I can't!!!! It is against what I swore to do!! I stand by that 100%!

That being said, I have seen boxes where there is MM, tubes, sliced and pulled. To be honest, it made kinda a mess for all of us to get some of each in a decent amount of time. But, it works..... It did make for a "busy" looking box and presentation.

Bottom line, if if looks good, that's the way I score. Almost every time I have scored a box, my ratings were pretty much in line with the "majority" of the table.

Now, my personal preference is pulled pork. I just think it tastes good that way.

I also try to turn in MM and tubes in the competitions that I compete in along with pulled. In my mind, that is what will look good (if we get the dam box right), and they taste good too!!

And, back to my reason for posting to begin with: I wish they hadn't change the rule/wording or whatever the heck you want to call it. I just see it as getting too liberal on what can be done with the food.

If it keeps changing, will we be cooking/judging hot dogs? I could enter that for all three catagories.

BBQ'ing is BBQ'ing; grilling is grilling. Seems like the lines are blurring.

wallace

All this and we still can't garnish with Kale.....:confused:

That was one thought I had.

The other was when are they going to implement the brisket weight rule? I think 10 pounds is reasonable. I would entertain even going up to 12.

Back