Thermometer Accuracy?

ssj4vinh

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
Hello,

So I drilled a small hole in the lid of my kettle grill in order to insert a thermometer like this one:

bbq_thermometer_gauge_3_6.jpg

My question is: how accurate of a reading will this give me for the temperature on the cooking grate? I've been smoking @ 220ish and I've heard that the temperature at the grate is lower.

All advice welcomed! THANKS!

The only way to know for sure what your grate temp is, is to monitor it at grate level. How close to the grate is the thermometer?

The old saying "heat rises" is the truth but I wouldn't expect a crazy difference in temps as long as you are relatively close to cooking surface. I also like to check any new thermos I get by testing their accuracy in boiling water (No offense if you have already done this). Should read close to 212F depending on atmospheric pressure (elevation). I have been told water will boil at 162F on top of Everest. So as long as you aren't smoking above 29,000 ft you should be close.

Buy a $4 oven therm at wal-fart to set on the cooking grate to check temps.

Cheers

^^^ I suggest purchasing multiple $4 oven thermometers and placing them around
on your cooking grate to determine if you have hot spots, etc. I've cooked on many
different types of cookers/smokers and my experience is that the exterior mounted
thermometer is always off by as much as 50 degrees depending on placement, some
high and some low. Once you learn the difference (yours, surface temp to outside
monitored temp) then you can rely on that thermometer, but not until then.

I've been interested in adding a good thermometer to my smoker around grate level, any suggestions?

Back