Looking for a Grill for ribs... Buy or build...

Slasher

Reaction score
Folks,

I have gone from New Braunfels side burner (BURNs Alot if you didn't rotate your meat enough) to a Vertical propane (WallyWerld) smoker, and now to a Primo XL which I love... However I can only do a a couple racks of ribs at a time...

I hate rib racks as the rub melts and runs off. I find they taste better when they lay flat...

With a Family of 5 I need a few more racks! With a couple teenagers... ribs are like an appetizer!!! A Lang 48/60 isn't in the budget...

Any suggestions on a smoker that allows for at least 5-8 racks of ribs to lay flat?

Been debating maybe building a block smoker (you know about 5 ft highx4ft wide), or maybe a low tunnel design(8-12 ft long fire at one end with a chimney at the other?

Perhaps it would be easier and cheaper just to save up for a decent RF... :blah::blah::blah:

Just thinking about how nice it would be do some good ribs for family and friends!!!

If I trim things right and play a little tetris I can get 6 STL cut slabs on my 2 rack UDS. 3 on each grate laying completely flat. You should be able to do the same on a 22.5" Weber Smokey Mountain. Check into getting one of those.

Or look at the pit barrel cooker. You can cook 8 slabs (or more if you buy extra stainless hooks) with relative ease.

FWIW...

I have built two UDS (w/ Weber lids) and have placed 3 grates in each so that I can do 9 St. Louis racks on each smoker. With some scrounging, I was able to build both of these for less than $100 total.

The original Bandera could hold 14 grates. At a conservative 2 racks of ribs per grate. that's 28 racks of ribs.

These come us frequently enough on craigslist. I just sold one for $150

If the rub is sliding off your using WAY TOOO MUCH RUB. Make a Hover grate for your Primo Problem solved.

Yep... A second grate on the Primo should do it. Unless you really want to buy another smoker :-D If so, a 22.5" WSM should be able to handle three racks per grate

This is a photo of the TOP cooking grate on my UDS.
Surely you can figure out how many racks I could fit if I used BOTH grates?

:becky:

IMG_4891.jpg

It cost me less than $50 to build my UDS. :thumb:

We cook 6 racks (laying flat) on our 22.5 WSM all the time...no problem! :p

I have two racks in my UDS and they easily fit 6 racks flat. I have done 10 racks though by rolling them up and doing them sideways. Making a hovering rack would probably be your cheapest and most immediate solution.

I rack an roll all the time, never had a streaky rib or miscolured. I have wsms you can do 6 racks for sure flat. 10 plus if you roll

I can get 6 racks flat on my egg with the extra rack. If it were me I'd just try and fashion a 2nd level on the Primo, or build a UDS. If you're feeling lazy then buy a 22" WSM.

Back