How big a pig?

BBQ Grail

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
I'm going to be roasting a pig in my La Caja China for a family reunion. There are going to 25 people all over the ages of 15.

I have no idea how big of a pig I need. Any suggestions?

Hey Larry, I did some searching and found that you will loose 30% of the live weight of a pig. So If you have 25 people and there is about 50% loss when cooked you will need to get about a 90# butchered or 130# live. I have never cooked a whole hog before so these are some figures to start with. When will you do the cook?

Not till October. It's a family reunion and I need to get a budget done in the next week or so.

Hey Larry, Looks like no one has chimed in yet, I am very curious about hearing from someone else who has done this before.

For 25 people, you'd be lookin at a suckling pig, probably about a 40 lb'r would give you leftovers.

Are you gonna do it on the Egg? :twisted:

I thought I had posted----maybe it got removed because I said where to get the pig. Larry I will call you. A 40 pound suckling pig would lose 30 % after slaughter due to guts etc. So that would give you 28 pounds to cook. After cooking a pig there is a 50% loss due to shrinkage, fat rendering off, bones, and skin removal. That would leave approx 14 pounds of meat for consumption. If servings are 8 ounce servings that would be 28 servings. BBQ Bubba's figures sound close. Often times when I cook whole pigs--there are people that will not eat the "Poor Little Pig" even though they have no problem eating bacon at Denny's. Sometimes for those I cook a shoulder or a loin. The Caja China works well. The coals on top almost act like cooking in a dutch oven.

For 25 people I'd just buy 7-8 lb pork butts
Like he said, he did not want to cook pork butts, BUT, if he did, and he bought seven 8 lb. pork butts there would be a chit load of leftovers. Even at 50% reduction to rendering (I usually get 35-40%) there would be enough for over 1 pound per person;
7 x 8 = 56
- 50%=28
div. by 2 = 1.12 pounds per person

BTW, Good Luck Larry!

DD
I SAID BUY 7-8 LB BUTTS, NOT BUY SEVEN 8 LB BUTTS,I never said how many. Either way I had to look up the la china thing, I seen Bobby Flay have a throw down using one. I'm sure it works good. So ROAST YOUR WHOLE HOG:!: AND HAVE FUN DOING IT:-D:icon_clown

I just went to a hog roast yesterday. It wasnt very good, the meat was very very dry. I am pretty sure the guy didnt know what he was doing. I was kinda dissapointed. Now I wanna have my own, this has been some great info fo me.

Give this a try. Roasting a pig is a lot of work and time consuming.

La Caja China Pig Roast Work Sheet Model 1 & 2
Using the Wired Meat Thermometer

1. Place pig between the racks and tie using the 4 S-Hooks.
2. Place pig inside the box skin side down, connect the wired thermometer probe in the
Center of the ham (rear leg).
3. Cover box with the ash pan and charcoal grid.
4. Add 16 lbs. of charcoal for Model #1 Box or 18lbs. for Model #2 Box and light up.
5. Once lit (20-25 minutes) spread the charcoal evenly over the charcoal grid.
6. Cooking time starts right now ______________________ (write you start time).
7. After 1 hour (1st hour) ___________________ add 10 lbs. of charcoal (write time).
8. Continue to add 9 lbs. of charcoal every hour until you reach 187 on the meat thermometer.
9. Once you reach 187, lift the charcoal grid shake it well to remove the ashes, now place it on top of the long handles. Do not place on the grass or floor it will damage them.
10. Remove the ash pan from the box and dispose of the ashes. Make sure you water down the ashes on the ground, they can cause fire.
11. Flip the pig over, to crispy the skin of the pig. This is easily done using our patented Rack System, just grab the end of the Rack lift and slide as you pull upward, using the other hand grab the top end of the other rack and slide it down.
12. Score the skin using a knife, this helps to remove the fat and crisp the skin.
13. Cover the box again with the ash pan and the charcoal grid; do not add more charcoal at this time.
14. After 30 minutes, take a peak by lifting the charcoal pan by one end only. You will continue doing this every 10 minutes until the skin is crispy to your liking.

I did a 45 lb pig last month for a party that fed about 50 adults with just the right amount of left over.....

Attachments

• pig roast 020.jpg
    pig roast 020.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 93
We just did a whole hog over the weekend. It was the first one either of us has ever done. The planets alligned and we got 5th out of about 35 teams. Back to the topic, we gave away half of it as samples and I pulled the meat from the other half. Without picking every sliver of meat I got about 20 lbs of meat from the half. The half weighted about 39lbs prepped for the cooker. We had it without the head and split. Skin side down really kept the moisture in. We did inject before cooking but never basted or sprayed it while cooking. Good luck and post pics when done. we were too busy and I forgot to take pics of ours.

Give this a try. Roasting a pig is a lot of work and time consuming.

La Caja China Pig Roast Work Sheet Model 1 & 2
Using the Wired Meat Thermometer

1. Place pig between the racks and tie using the 4 S-Hooks.
2. Place pig inside the box skin side down, connect the wired thermometer probe in the
Center of the ham (rear leg).
3. Cover box with the ash pan and charcoal grid.
4. Add 16 lbs. of charcoal for Model #1 Box or 18lbs. for Model #2 Box and light up.
5. Once lit (20-25 minutes) spread the charcoal evenly over the charcoal grid.
6. Cooking time starts right now ______________________ (write you start time).
7. After 1 hour (1st hour) ___________________ add 10 lbs. of charcoal (write time).
8. Continue to add 9 lbs. of charcoal every hour until you reach 187 on the meat thermometer.
9. Once you reach 187, lift the charcoal grid shake it well to remove the ashes, now place it on top of the long handles. Do not place on the grass or floor it will damage them.
10. Remove the ash pan from the box and dispose of the ashes. Make sure you water down the ashes on the ground, they can cause fire.
11. Flip the pig over, to crispy the skin of the pig. This is easily done using our patented Rack System, just grab the end of the Rack lift and slide as you pull upward, using the other hand grab the top end of the other rack and slide it down.
12. Score the skin using a knife, this helps to remove the fat and crisp the skin.
13. Cover the box again with the ash pan and the charcoal grid; do not add more charcoal at this time.
14. After 30 minutes, take a peak by lifting the charcoal pan by one end only. You will continue doing this every 10 minutes until the skin is crispy to your liking.

Thanks! but I have the directions...

Back