Seperating Brisket

Honestly, you're screwed. You can't turn that meat in anyway. If you cooler it properly, you will have at least 5 hours flex-time before the pork approaches this temp, even more if you invest in a Cambro/Carlisle. If you need more time than that, you should probably work on your timing.

Oh, and I separate my briskys right before carving and turn-in time.

What I meant was: when you 'pull' or slice the pork for the turn in box, and it gets cold (below 140*) what do you do?
For the short amount of time (less than what, 20 minutes) that it's going to be waiting to be consumed, you're fine as far as the HD would be concerned...

For the short amount of time (less than what, 20 minutes) that it's going to be waiting to be consumed, you're fine as far as the HD would be concerned...

I was just being rhetorical.
If the meat cools down to 140* and I do nothing I'd be in violation of rule #16. I'm just playing devils advocate. Not trying to stir the pot.

If the meat cools down to 140* and I do nothing I'd be in violation of rule #16. I'm just playing devils advocate. Not trying to stir the pot.

Yeah, but wouldn't you have 4 hours for it to go from 140º down to 40º???!!!! :twisted:

The fact is I pull my pork right after chicken turn-in and place it in a half pan arranged so that building my pork box will be easy when the time comes. I foil the pan and then back in the hot box. I have several times put the pan back into the cooker right before turn in to heat up the pork before building the box.

I've done this too. Put processed pork into a 1/2 pan and then into the cooker to keep warm. It never occurred to me that it may be illegal. I guess I may need to give back a few pig trophies. The $$ is spent so sorry :wink:.

Since this was pointed out to me I have been holding in a hot cambro so there is no chance that I am breaking the rules.

Scottie,

I may be wrong but, I believe that the intent of the Servsafe rule is storage of the potentially hazardeous material in the unsafe zone not the amount of time that it takes the internal temperature of the meat to move to the unsafe zone. The surface of the potentially hazardeous material is the real intent of the rule. Once it leaves the cooking device, then the storage device air temperature must be maintained above 140 degree F or the product cooled rapidly (less than 2 hours) to below 41 degrees F and then stored in a container that will be maintained at or below 40 degree F. There must be a measuring device for the air temperature whose calibration is checked on a regular basis and it should be monitored so that corrective action can be taken.

If these limits can not be maintained, then the potentially hazardeous material should have a food label attached with the four hours time to discard.

This also implies that the heat source of the storage device, to meet KCBS, PNWBA, IBCA, FBA, etc. rules, must be charcoal or wood and you can't part the pork before it leaves the heat source forever.:-?

Mack

Man, good thing for youse guys, I 'm not going to LP... I'd be rolling over on all of ya to the reps!!! :twisted::shock:

In reality, I wish I had that much time to watch others cook. I could care less, unless it's an obvious infraction... But now I know the teams to watch!!!! :roll: At least my slices aren't smoke ring'd all the way around... There is at least a 1/4" of non-smoke ring... :icon_shy

Scottie was interjecting some humor and frivolity.

Forgot to mention, that is why there are these little bitty holes with plastic caps on cambros so a temp probe can be stuck in the door to monitor.

You're right Jorge...

But I also separate my point from the flat when I am preparing for turn-in... But I also do something to it prior to cooking. But if I gave that advice, I might as well give a class too... :icon_shy

... But now I know the teams to watch!!!! :roll: At least my slices aren't smoke ring'd all the way around... There is at least a 1/4" of non-smoke ring... :icon_shy

I didnt think you could get a smoke ring with a pellet cooker?

You can't he was just joking. Pellet cookers make terrible food your much better off with that stick coffin of yours.

You're right Steve. I can't get a smoke ring.... That's why I use so much tenderquick!!! Yeah, that's the ticket... ;-)

You're right Steve. I can't get a smoke ring.... That's why I use so much tenderquick!!! Yeah, that's the ticket... ;-)

When are you and Steve going to cook together as "Tommy Flanagan BBQ"?

Wow what? I was joking. But to think that someone should look the otherway, while someone gets an advantage? I won't do that either. These guys know the rules, if folks decide to continue and cook doing and illegal way and if someone turns the in. That person is supposed to feel bad? Sorry. I don't feel sorry.

And for the record. Reps do read this forum. Even the one that goes to LP....

Wow what? I was joking. But to think that someone should look the otherway, while someone gets an advantage? I won't do that either. These guys know the rules, if folks decide to continue and cook doing and illegal way and if someone turns the in. That person is supposed to feel bad? Sorry. I don't feel sorry.

And for the record. Reps do read this forum. Even the one that goes to LP....

Good thing I'm not cooking LP! ::lol::

Back