• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

St Louis style ribs vs. back ribs

I

iflyaqs

Why do you see mostly St. Louis Style ribs at the Rib cook offs? Is it cost?, size? or???? I think the Back Rib are tenderer and cook Quicker. So what gives... </SPAN>

Some say spares have more flavor. I don't notice it much myself.

Welcome to the Brethren! You should head to Cattle Call and introduce yourself!

I don't think the split is that far off 50/50.. Certain regions might be higher.

Aside from taste, Cost could be a big factor as well as the ability to more easily present in a turn-in box in different ways.

I remember hearing a prominent BBQer from the South at Harpoon saying that he would cook baby backs in the North East if he had to do it again... That being said...have had success with both... backs are easier to prepare...St Louis is more prep....cost when you consider trimmings is probably comparable...unless you save trimmings to cook chili etc... my kids like the riblets...

I find that St Louis spares are easier to cut and put in the box...the backs have a bend that makes stacking more difficult...

If you find meaty backs they are great...if you see all the shiners on the cover of Saveur's World's Best Ribs ... that's another scenario ....

Some of the best ribs I've cooked have been the cheapest spares... to me they taste like bacon...longer to cook and take more abuse...low and slow...

That's why we cook 3 to 6 racks to get 6 to 8 great ribs for the box...

Sometimes I cook spares and backs...to be continued..

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

I love them both, I have had more success with spares. I wouldn't call my rib scores success, but you know what I mean. I personally cook BB's for my family, they love them. If I took a vote in my area, I would bet BB's would be the favorite 5 to 1.

Personally I do the BB but that is primarily beacause I do not have much experience with the St. Louis Ribs

I do spares and in my limited experiance in comps have done ok... That being said, I am also able to offset my cost with customers that buy just the tips....

Why do you see mostly St. Louis Style ribs at the Rib cook offs? Is it cost?, size? or???? I think the Back Rib are tenderer and cook Quicker. So what gives...</SPAN>

I will give you my conspiracy theory answer. I have had several people judges and contestants, at more than one contest or gathering mind you, say they have over heard judges comment that they do not think BB are as good and would judge down if they are presented to them at a contest

Some say spares have more flavor. I don't notice it much myself.

Some like me, say BB have more flavor than spares.

Personally I do the BB but that is primarily beacause I do not have much experience with the St. Louis Ribs

I used to do nothing but BB. Just seems that they are not as well received as Spares in CA at the current time.

We've always and only done spares. Once upon a time, before I had ever seen an offset cooker, I preferred backs, but now by comparison I do notice an odd gamey flavor to them.

Spares have a narrower window of opportunity to hit them "just right", which takes some skill and practice on the part of the cook. Maybe we'll hit that window a bit better this upcoming year, and crack the top 20. :wink:

However, this is all from the perspective of a region that receives spares well. Should we travel to an area where a preference for backs predominates, it would be foolhardy to try to ignore that.

I prefer to eat spare ribs, but I really like the way babybacks lay in the box.

Attachments

• 180_Ribs_American_Royal_2003.jpg
    180_Ribs_American_Royal_2003.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 185
Last edited:
In IBCA and LSBS sanctioned contests, babybacks will get ya DQ'd. You have to cook spares.

In IBCA and LSBS sanctioned contests, babybacks will get ya DQ'd. You have to cook spares.

Is that their requirement for ribs? You have to cook spares? Can you do St Louis style or do you have to do the whole spare? Just curious.

I think we started cooking spares for better presentation (they fill the box better). I do know that spares are harder work than Baby backs. All my catering customers prefer baby back ribs. I think that people think they are better than spares because of comercials about bbq. like the Chili's babyback ad.

Considering that they can come from the same pig...The Backs from the back area of the ribs and the Spares from the belly area....What gives....?

You have to cook Spares...?

Have you tried cooking Backs?

Glad that I live in the world of KCBS and NEBS!

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

To answer the IBCA and LSBS questions...

Yes, it is a rule. Spares only. The theory is that it makes the playing field more even for everyone if they are turning in the same thing.

Back