Moink Ball question

T

thebbqdude

I am doing my SIL (sister in law) a favor and cooking for her boyfriends birthday. She has requested a large order of moink balls and I just have a questions with cooking these. I have to work the day they need them for so I am coming home on my lunch to fire up my smoker and my wife is going to put them on at the appropriate time. Any tips on putting a large amount on the smoker with ease? I thought about putting them on in disposable aluminum pans but fear an over accumulation of bacon grease and the bacon no crisping properly. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Not as large as some catering orders but a full bag of metballs from sams and she also is having me wrap little smokies in bacon and cook them. Not sure of the exact amount but they are the bulk sizes.

If you can, get one of these. You will be thankful many times in the future that you did.
brinkmann_812-3333-0.jpg

I just throw them on the rack - putting them in a pan will just let them sit in grease (bad) unless you take Cajun's suggestion. I like the smoker basket - may need to invest inone of those....

I use the little disposable grates when I make alot of little things to go in the smoker.

Unless you poke a gazzillion holes in the pan, I wouldn't recommend that. Putting them on the grates is easy, just "pour" them on top. All the toothpicks wouln't be standing straight up if you can live with that! I too, like the looks of that round smoker basket. Where can I get one?

I think I picked mine up at Ace Hardware, but I may have ordered it online from somewhere. I got it a few years ago, and it is still holding up well. Here is a link to some hits on Froogle, and here is a thread I did a few weeks back where I used the basket and have some pics of it.

I usually just put them on the rack and let the grease drain. If have the room, fit a raised cooling rack, over some of the MOINK and create a second level.

Attachments

• cooling rack.jpg
    cooling rack.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 127
With the pit temp 230-240 how long of a cook time do these moink balls take? I might have to try it New Years they look good

Throw em on the rack and get cookin!

Attachments

• Brethren Bash 022.jpg
    Brethren Bash 022.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 105
With the pit temp 230-240 how long of a cook time do these moink balls take? I might have to try it New Years they look good

Bout 1 1/2 hours or until the bacon is cooked (the frozen meatballs are fully cooked).

Forget to post pron if ya haven't been certified by Ron L, then quietly thank Trp Fox for invention!

Last edited:
Skewer them. The bacon will stay on after unscewering. Then just put a tub of toothpicks next to them for self serving.

Skewer them. The bacon will stay on after unscewering. Then just put a tub of toothpicks next to them for self serving.
That sounds like pure genius!......As long as the bacon stays on , sounds easy.....

I ran out of toothpicks. The bacon stays on nicely after it's cooked. I did the double wrap method, though. Wrap, fold, wrap the other way, stick with toothpick. This covers the meatball completely.

CIMG1091001.jpg
Somewithouttoothpicks.jpg

I'm making more today....

Dumb Question..do you thaw them berfore cooking?

I'll be joining the ranks of Moinkdom this afternoon after work for this evenings festivities.
So yes, I'm a moink virgin, but I would imagine that you would need to thaw them in order to get the toothpick or skewer through them...

If you don't thaw them, then you better have a drill handy to get the toothpick through.

Back